Mackie DLM Speakers

Jerry K.

Experienced
Just wondering if anyone has tried an Axe FX through one of these. They seem like they could have some potential.

I took a Vox Tonelab ST with me to audition DLM12 in Guitar Center about a week ago. My experience with it was favorable.
I love the size and weight if the unit (who wouldn't). There is enough bass response on tap for a standard tuned guitar. Don't know how it would make out with a 7 as I didn't have one with me. Even though it has a very small footprint I heard it clearly standing in front of it about 8 feet away. That impressed me as its the size of a 1x12 cab and it definitely carries sound to your ears better than my Custom Audio Amplification 1x12 cab (same as Bogner cube). Sound wise, it sounded as good as any powered monitor I've auditioned in this price level (EV JBL QSC) which I did not expect due to the Mackie's small footprint compared to the others. The DLM has better sound management options with respect to dsp presets and programmable eq. Some criticisms, the tilt back mechanism doesn't feel as sturdy as it should and where as the volume levels are certainly adequate, I expected to be able to crank it up way more based on its rated power (2000 watts peak). With the much better cab simulations of the Axe, I felt I could certainly use the DLM and be happy on stage. Heck, I felt I could gig with the ToneLab ST. I am curious to other user's experiences with the DLM.

at a pricepoint of +/- $850 US, IMO it would need to compete on the level of the Atomic CLR and powered Matrix and some other very nice cabinets in that price range. If it were in the +/-$700 price range, it might be a great option, but pushing $900, you might as well just spend a little extra to get a powered CLR, which is obviously optimized for use with guitar modelers first and foremost.

Mackie DLM12's are in the $700 range (they were $723 over the weekend) whenever the usual 15% off promotion is on. I'm toying with the idea of a pair for just under $1,500 myself. I have a pair of EV 15's now and both of the Mackie's together weigh the same as one of my EV's! I don't think the DLM is a CLR competitor but, at this point it's my number 1 pick in the $850 and under street price powered portable PA market.

Last edited:
I got a chance to play through the DLM 12 today, I think overall it sounded good. I took my patches that I know very well and auditioned the Mackie. I did need to dial a bit of the high end back on the speaker but that was very easy. You can then save it as a preset on the speaker so you will always have your settings. I thought it had a good low end thump to go with the distortion and my clean patches sounded good as well. I am going to play through it over the next 3 days and will post some further opinions. So far I like it.

Last edited:
I heard there was some discussion on this speaker not be very loud, anybody finding that to be the case? Can it keep up with a drummer..

I picked one up (literally, didn't buy it) and it's comically light, in a good way.. if not a contender for the AXE then it certainly would make a great PA speaker for a bar band given it size and weight, if the performance and reliability is up to standards..

Great gear we have nowadays..no doubt...

Back
Top Bottom