Macbook and SPDIF?

MrShredX

Inspired
I just noticed that my Macbook white will accept SPDIF in via the audio in port and send SPDIF out via the headphone jack...does this mean I could avoid buying a recording interface all together for recording my AxeFX????

I'm not certain about the Macbook model you have but I know the MacBook Pros have a mini-toslink connector which is an optical output. You would need a converter to go from optical spdif to coaxial like the Axe-Fx has. Here is an example of one:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-T ... B000I98ZQY

Seeing as this one takes a regular toslink cable, you'd also need a mini-toslink to toslink adapter. And if you wanted input and output you'd have to do this * 2. Then it should work if you set the MacBook's clock to sync to the AxeFx.

An easier/cheaper option if you're willing to forego digital would be to use the line in on the MacBook with the unbalanced outs on the Axe-Fx, with a 2x1/4" to 1/8" stereo cable. You'd be using the converters in the MacBook but I think they're probably not that bad. My biggest concern would be picking up extraneous noise from the components in the laptop, you'd have to investigate that a little to see if it would work for you. I know sometimes the headphone outputs on laptops are a bit noisy that way.

Yes. There's a very good chance that that'll work.
Try it and find out.
What have you got to lose?

When you open up Audio MIDI Utility (in the Utilities folder) does it show S/PDIF as an audio input source?
If yes, then I believe you're good.
If no, then probably not.

joegold said:
Try it and find out.

When you open up Audio MIDI Utility (in the Utilities folder) does it show S/PDIF as an audio input source?

It says Line In for Audio Input source and I can select 24bit, 48khz, 44khz or 96khz

SouthernShred said:
joegold said:
Try it and find out.

It says Line In for Audio Input source and I can select 24bit, 48khz, 44khz or 96khz

"Line In" is not S/PDIF In.

Do you have 2 S/PDIF jacks or just 1?
If you've only got 1 then chances are that it's S/PDIF out, not in.

See what About This Mac (under the Apple Menu) tells you about your hardware.

It says SPDIF In Connection: Combo and SPDIF Out Connection: Combo

The specs for my Mac say that the audio input jack is a combination optical and line in jack and the headphone jack is combo optical out / headphone out

SouthernShred said:
It says SPDIF In Connection: Combo and SPDIF Out Connection: Combo

The specs for my Mac say that the audio input jack is a combination optical and line in jack and the headphone jack is combo optical out / headphone out

I dunno.

It sounds like none of these jacks are RCA connectors, right?

I think you should call an Apple service rep to find out or search Apple's web site.
Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

It should work fine. Check monoprice.com; you can get a coax-optical converter, cables and TOS-miniTOS adapter (or a cable that has the different ends) for around $20.

kahliburke said:
I'm not certain about the Macbook model you have but I know the MacBook Pros have a mini-toslink connector which is an optical output. You would need a converter to go from optical spdif to coaxial like the Axe-Fx has. Here is an example of one:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-T ... B000I98ZQY

Seeing as this one takes a regular toslink cable, you'd also need a mini-toslink to toslink adapter. And if you wanted input and output you'd have to do this * 2. Then it should work if you set the MacBook's clock to sync to the AxeFx.

Thanks for this link! But take care: For me it looks like an unidirectional solution Optical-In --> Coax-Out.

I've been puzzling over how to achieve this with my iMac, which has the same combo connectors.

If anyone actually solves this while avoiding the SPDIF pulsing noise issue, please post and share the solution.

TIA

Claude

Back
Top Bottom