Bug? Mac USB Issues

I'll add that while connected to my mac pro via USB the input lights on the axe have frozen on a few occasions, and a reboot of the axe is required.

Same crap here . Can work fine for a while then the crackels come. Macbook pro Snow Leopard -Logic . Running 44,1 kHz songs and axe edit open at the same time most of the time. I thought it was working ok but I was wrong. I think it gets worse when clipping the input but I´m not shure.

Same crap here . Can work fine for a while then the crackels come. Macbook pro Snow Leopard -Logic . Running 44,1 kHz songs and axe edit open at the same time most of the time. I thought it was working ok but I was wrong. I think it gets worse when clipping the input but I´m not shure.

Make sure you run Logic at 48kHz as this is the axe's sample rate. It won't fix all your USB problems, but it might solve some of them.

Make sure the CPU % load on the axe-FX is in the 70's or less... I found if it were over this I get crackles.

Not done anything scientific to test the exact figure... But mainly use other interfaces due to the issues connecting it to my mac

Tried and made a patch with 50% cpu use. It worked pretty good for 1 hour then it fucked up again.
I had axe edit open while recording . Next time I´ll try without axe-edit opened to see if that helps.

I'm on a 2009 Imac 2,4 ghz 8gb Ram.
The same problem: if I set in Logic 9 Audio out:Axe Fx 2,when I play there are Random pops and clicks and are recorded.
If I set built in audio as output device it is Ok.
Hope it will be fixed.

I just tried bypassing my soundcard completely and only using the axefx i/o. There were still clicks and pops.

Sounds like you have a high CPU utilisation.... If mine gets into the 90's then that is what I get.

Don't believe what the CPU utilisation is in Axe-Edit.... If you look on the Axe-FX II it is higher.

I disabled a few effects that I was not using and it helped.

I upgraded OSX from snow leopard and installed the latest axe drivers hoping it would fix this popping problem... no luck unfortunately.

Has there been any offial comment from Fractal on this issue? Apart from the "it's Apples issue and they are working on it" as that Apple fix has come out and people are still having issues.

Must admit most of my issue seem to be due to high CPU loading on the Axe-FX II, but others still seem to be having issues.

Hi everyone .

I've tried to read what you said about connection problems between axe fx II and Mac.

I'm french and not so good in english but I tried to find solution to my problem (which the same that yours it seems)

When my axe fx II is connected to my Mac via USB, I select preference system - sound - AXE-FX II audio In.

When I "choose" AXE-FX II audio In, Mac bugg , seem to search it or stuff like that. Then I always hace to forced it to quite because "system Preferences" do not responde anymore. Do you understand ? The same problem appears when I open Logic pro 9. Logic Pro 9 recognize axe fx II, but when I choose it, logic pro do not responde anymore.

You may respondes yet to this problem but I didn't read the answer clearly.

Thank for your responses. It's very helpful.

Just adding my voice to the list. I haven't been able to get the usb driver to work consistently with mountain lion. it was visible as separate in/out in the audio devices list, then not, then it was one device, then invisible again where it remains now. I had wiped my mac and installed ML fresh when the problems started, but I was able to get it to show up as the single i/o device (as I assume it was intended) before it reverted to invisible. I then got it running off an older macbook that had snow leopard installed but unfortunately that laptop died so now my only option is to hook it up to my windows 7 machine (which is not my audio machine, it's way too loud) to make firmware updates and other adjustments. I really hope they get this fixed because not being able to use it with my primary audio workstation is really screwing up the workflow.

I posted this in another thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...cording-via-usb-into-my-mac-2.html#post784584

Hi

Thanks for the reply. In the last few hours I've actually found some sort of solution here (but I'm still struggling to believe my ears, cause I've tried so many times over the last few months to get rid of the crackle and sometimes thought I had succeeded). I thought my crackles sounded very cyclical and went to check my clock source settings. When I make an aggregate device and set the Clock source to Axe-FX IN the crackle seems to be gone from my recordings. I still seem to hear crackle through the Axe though, but when plugging my headphones straight into my computer I'm not hearing the crackle on the actual files. Earlier I had recorded some files and can definitely hear the crackle on that through my mac. So then I went and changed the clock source to Axe-Fx OUT and the crackle went away on PLAYBACK but would now be on my actual recording. So, after months of trying, it seems that I have fixed the problem of having pristine sounding recordings, and it is sounding great. I just have to switch between clock sources when I record and play back. Very strange, but I think I'm on to something here?

Would be good if more users with the crackle problem tested this out and gave some feedback. Otherwise can we put pressure on Apple ourselves?

I'm still running Snow Leopard by the way. Imac 2011. 16gigs ram.

Reaper 64bit. Project set to 48khz.

Can more people try this fix and see if it works for them. My recordings are now crackle free. Praise jebus.

So then I went and changed the clock source to Axe-Fx OUT and the crackle went away on PLAYBACK but would now be on my actual recording. So, after months of trying, it seems that I have fixed the problem of having pristine sounding recordings, and it is sounding great. I just have to switch between clock sources when I record and play back. Very strange, but I think I'm on to something here?
Great, I'll look into the clock settings next time I record with the Axe-Fx2 (now I have my RME set to "AutoSync"). I got horrible crackles in USB Audio but since I had to get the job done on time I switched to SPDIF going from the Axe into my RME Firface400 and deactivating AxeFx as Input in Logic's preferences. This worked well but I noticed on one place the recorded file had small crackles nevertheless. I'm waiting for a time window to look into this more, crackling audio is not be acceptable. I make a lot of film music where 48k is the norm so it's just a matter of a project coming up where guitars is to be used. For one project I recorded the Axe by its analog outputs and that worked well. But with both SPDIF and analog recording you want to keep the USB cable connected for feeding project tempo into the Axe.

System used: OS 10,7,5, MBP 13", i7 2,7GHz, 16GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3. RME Fireface400.

Just a quick note that today I changed the RME to "'Clock Mode = Master" and the USB noise totally disappeared. Played for hours with an external software looper in the USB loop and audio stayed clear and crisp all day.

Would be good if more users with the crackle problem tested this out and gave some feedback. Otherwise can we put pressure on Apple ourselves?

I suppose you're using a driver version prior to 27 June 2012, because with the last version of the AXE USB driver there is not this posibility, I think; so I can't test your findings by now; now there is only one single I/O device, instead of two devices, one for input and another for output. This new driver, for OSX Lion (OSX 10.7.4+), only has clocking problems at the output (this is my case); input is OK and recording with no crackle nor noise. But output is hell, plenty of this parasit noise... noise become less incrementing sample buffer size in Logic 9 to 256, 512 and so on, but latency becomes too high... and noise appears sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom