Bug? Mac USB Issues

I'm actually with you guys. Have been recording a bunch and keep getting some crazy distortion sound in the middle of my tracks for no apparent reason. Changing output levels and or buffer sizes done seem to make any difference. Here's an example of where its happening at :54 seconds into this clip

I've been having these problems for months now while watching Fractal do NOTHING. This is a show stopper problem and product runing problem for Mac Axe FX II users. It needs to be fixed now.

I've been having these problems for months now while watching Fractal do NOTHING. This is a show stopper problem and product runing problem for Mac Axe FX II users. It needs to be fixed now.

I just recently purchased an AXE FX II and I too am having the popping issues when I record and playback. I am pretty disappointed that I am having this problem. I love my FX II other then the fact I can't use it when I do any recording. I am running a Mac with 8 processors and Snow Leopard.

Just got my Axe FX 2 about 2 weeks ago and I'm using it as my audio interface, absolutely love the unit but this is the only problem/issue I've had with it.

Hopefully there is a simple fix.

I'll see later if I get this too. It looks like it's a clocking issue. When things go out of sync -- 48k and loses sync, you'll get crackles and pops. It's got to be a Fractal bug. Apple has their standard and they're not going to change for one company or even a few, unless they're big enough. Fractal will have to adapt to Apple if this is going to get fixed. Blaming them isn't going to work. I've been on a beta team for some digital audio products for many years. If your product isn't working with Apple spec then you have to re-write your code/drivers.

happens to me too at 1:16 :( using abelton live 8

i've also had it as bad as peter lacis' video too.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago Fractal support told me this is a bug in OSX. Apple promised to fix in a softweare update "soon."

I hope Apple fixes it "sooner" than they fixed the GPU bug in 2008 Macbook Pros, where the video would blank out and come right back on.

There were countless threads all around about it, including the Apple support forums, but they never acknowledged it until just recently. I'm glad Apple finally released a firmware fix about a month ago, but it took 3+ years.

FWIW I'll stick to using Digital I/O for recording but still have to deal with the 48khz sample rate limitation.

Last edited:
If its a bug in OSX - Then should't I be also having the issue. No problems here running the latest everything (mac OS / fractal drivers / fractal firmware).
I use the USB interface all the time - playing / practicing along with itunes. The USB support is my favourite feature. Sorry to hear its broken for so many :/

What Mac and OS are you using? It might be helpful for some to know. I haven't determined I have a problem yet though. I've only tried Axe-Edit. When I reamp I haven't done it with USB. Maybe those who so and can't reliably do so, should merely do a workaround until it's fixed. I reamp a lot, but not the new USB Fractal way.

What Mac and OS are you using? It might be helpful for some to know. I haven't determined I have a problem yet though. I've only tried Axe-Edit. When I reamp I haven't done it with USB. Maybe those who so and can't reliably do so, should merely do a workaround until it's fixed. I reamp a lot, but not the new USB Fractal way.

I don't think there has been any issue with axe edit - usb interface usage. I did hear of trouble with simultaneously utilising the standard midi IO and the USB midi IO.

So the issue is with using the axe fx as an interface with artefacts and noise creeping into the recording? I am using a late 08 mac book pro and I have the latest versions of everything as of this post - mac os 10.7.3 and the latest fractal audio drivers (the drivers you install on your mac for the axefx2) from their site and also latest firmware on the axefx2 itself. I reamp and record straight in. I have not have any troubles so far. I really enjoy using it for convenience - The real problem for me is learning how to craft sounds properly !

All, I wanted update another finding. While my primary recording machine that I've documented the Axe-FX I/O glitch/digital noise issue with is a 2011 MacBook Pro 15" running OS X 10.7.3 (Lion) with Ableton Live 8.3 and Logic Pro 8, I also have an older MacBook Pro 17" (1st gen with Intel chipset from 2006) that's running OS X 10.6.8 and the same DAW's. While Axe-Edit appears more stable in general, I experienced the exact same glitch/digital noise issue in the middle of a track while recording today. Needless to say I'm bummed out that this older hardware and OS would still experience the issue.

I've read that when Apple releases OS X 10.7.4 there's a good chance the issue will be resolved. Thankfully I have two machines with different OS's so I can continue to experiment and see what happens. However, I was quite curious to read comments on the whole "bleeding edge, update software immediately" critique regarding this USB compatibility issue when in fact it has nothing to do with that.....its happens in older versions of the OS as well as older versions of Apple hardware.

Just wanted to document this so its out there.

i'm on a 2011 macbook pro 15 inch running snow leopard 10.6.8 w/ ableton live 8, logic pro 8 as well w/ the same probs as peter lacis :(

so i feel like i need to buy a new mac after the semester now, hopefully that will fix things..... in the mean time i still have a blast practicing and playing but have no ability to record for the moment :/

I have 4 Macs, all on 10.7.3, and none of them will recognize my Axe-II with Axe-Edit for more than ~30 minutes. Doing various things (saving a preset, uploading a cab, etc) seems to trigger the disconnect.

For shits, I plugged it into a Windows laptop and it was fine for two hours. really hoping 10.7.4 makes it happier.

Another data point: Axe-Edit has lost communication with Axe_FX a few times while I was switching back/forth with Logic 9.1.7., both connected via Axe-USB. The only thing that would get them talking again was to reboot both AE and the Axe. Logic never lost playback or record capability with the Axe though.

This particular situation was using a 2008 Mac Pro, 18GB ram, 10.6.8.

Another data point: Axe-Edit has lost communication with Axe_FX a few times while I was switching back/forth with Logic 9.1.7., both connected via Axe-USB. The only thing that would get them talking again was to reboot both AE and the Axe.

This particular situation was using a 2008 Mac Pro, 18GB ram, 10.6.8.

This happens to me too.

Back
Top Bottom