Mac Lost USB Audio OUT

alias7

I've search the forms, done all the fixes I can find, settings have been checked 3+ times and seem to be correct, the Mac can "see" the AX III, but no system or music audio is going to the AX III. Yes cables were checked, yes I've rebooted everything several times. I need more than level I help here please.

I just upgraded to 19.01 from 18xxx and lost my USB Audio from the Mac.
I tried the AXIII USB 1.10 update, rebooted etc. The AX III shows the USB 1.10 was successfully installed. Still no audio.
AX III USB output set to "1/2 -> OUT 1, 3/4 -> OUT 2". (I tried the other option too)
USB input level set to -4.0db
***I've never changed any I/O settings, ever.

Mac is running 12.2.1
Mac's Midi Audio Set up shows USBs going out 1 & 2
"AXE-FX III" selected as audio device in
About > system report > USB 3.1 shows the AX III
Axe-Fx III:
Product ID: 0x8010
Vendor ID: 0x2466
Version: 1.0a
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/s
Manufacturer: Fractal Audio Systems
Location ID: 0x14300000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 0
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

About > system report > audio
Axe-Fx III:
Default Output Device: Yes
Default System Output Device: Yes
Input Channels: 8
Manufacturer: Fractal Audio Systems
Output Channels: 8
Current SampleRate: 48000
Transport: USB
Input Source: Default
Output Source: Default

I've tried running Music with and without AXE-Edit running.
No DAWs or any other type of audio software running.

Not sure where the hell the USB return level is located, it's not @ I/O->AUDIO > USB RETURN LEVEL page as noted in the knowledge base. Does this have another name??? Since relocated?

Fractal Bot and AXE-EDIT working great.

Help, please???

well something interesting just happened, I rebooted everything (again)... I had audio for about 1.5 seconds, and then it just went silent. I thought this happened before, but volume was low and figured it was just the internals I heard before it switched to the AXE III.

No hardware has change in my set up, just updated software.

Have you looked into the MIDI setup on the Mac to make sure you are sending audio to the proper channels on the III?

Just to clarify, you say: “Mac's Midi Audio Set up shows USBs going out 1 & 2”
When you go to Preferences > Sound > Output and Input Tabs
is the Axe selected there?
Edit: Just tested 19.02 via USB and it is working for me.

Are you using a docking station with your mac and running your Axe through it by chance? I had a similar issue and it turned out to be my dock. I also found out that running my AxeFX into my Mac using a USB > USB-C converter actually works better and is more consistent.

Dadgummit... Thanks to Mark's fast support email! Cliff is always right.

Two things happened, I reset the I/O in the AXEFX system settings AND I used my USB HUB as the "new" adapter for now. I don't know what happened re: I/O, I've never gone in those menus. I'm a very simple plug and play user beyond IRs and using other's posted/purchased presents.

Any suggestions on a high quality USB B type adapter??? There are none that are MFi certified (for obvious reasons). I need to run the max length Mark suggested, 10 feet... so I'm looking to adapter at the AXE and not at the computer now.

Once the I/O settings were reset, I noted the volume getting low using a longer cable. Tt would start loud, then drop after a few seconds and stay low. Before using the old adapter, the audio was lost all together after about a second, now using the USB hub I kept audio it's just 80% the volume using the longer USB cable. So if you're having that issue, stick to shorter cables. This was a consistent error, I A-B'd, and replicated this phenomenon a few times.

Back
Top Bottom