M-Audio BX8's

GreatGreen

Power User
I listened to these monitors the other day in a roomful of other monitors of all different sizes and prices, and these seemed to sit somewhere between critical mixing and hifi, casual listening territory. In other words, they sound like the highs and lows are slightly exaggerated, but the imaging still seems pretty amazing with these things as well.

Does anybody here have any extended experience with these monitors? I'm interested in them as 90% of their lives will be spent listening to music and having the Axe-Fx put through them for home guitar playing, and the other 10% will be spent monitoring casual recordings I'll be making with the Axe-Fx for myself and my buddies and maybe the odd online clip here and there.

Any opinions? Love them? Hate them? Any particular significant faults to be aware of that might not be apparent in a store? Also, for me personally, the priority is sounding great first, and being "critically accurate" second. I don't expect to ever get paid to mix somebody else's recording so brutal honesty of sound takes second seat to being pleasant to listen to.

Last edited:
Ok, you sound like me. I went through every single magazine, every review, every message about this on this forum. I ended up between those you mention and then settled on Yamaha hs80 BUT, SOMEONE steered me toward equator d5, and I honestly think there is NOT a better bang for buck at twice the cost. go with EQUATORS. I use them as my computer, desktop , mixing, playing, all everything in my office (though for axefx I still prefer my big loud ev live x 112px 2.

The reason the BX8 appealed to me in the store so much was because of their extended frequency range relative to most other monitors I heard. They seemed more able to handle lower lows and higher highs than most other monitors I heard.

Do the Equators have just as much low end capacity as the BX8's or would you need to integrate a sub into the system to get there?

I had a pair of BX8s long ago, and can't really recommend them. They are indeed hyped in the highs and lows, so they're not very good for accurate studio monitoring. Also, one of the pair died shortly after the warranty ran out. Rather than fix it I replaced them with Dynaudio BM5As (mk1), which I've been much happier with. While they don't have as wide a frequency range, they're much more accurate and detailed (the BX8s were always mushy-sounding in comparison).

Have them and hate them personally. Before I was educated on a flat monitor, I went to G/C and AB'd a ton of different monitors. The M-Audio's sounded better that all the rest because of the fact that they are overly hyped and sound more pleasing to the the ears when playing a song through them. For actual use with the AXE FX, I found that I was constantly fighting taking out the lows and highs. Definitely want something more flat sounding.

Back
Top Bottom