LPD Tone Clone - Steely Dan Reelin' In The Years Intro Guitar Solo

groovenut

Power User
I have always thought the solo's in this song were great. Awesome feel and phrasing! The tone is pretty unique or strange or just plain awful depending on who you ask. To me this tone is very reminiscent of the tone of the guitar solo in Journeys Lights. I have a sneaky suspicion this was a fuzz pedal direct into the recording console but who can be sure. I did use a fuzz in the preset....two of them actually! This one is close but not exact and is pretty dependent on the guitar you use. I tried it with several and all changed the character of the tone. So that's good if you want individualism, bad if you want consistency across instruments. Neither here nor there really. They all sounded great!

Here's my take and a mini lesson...

I thought that tone was super close, you did a great job. I believe that was Randal Elliot on guitar. Always thought it was super unique.

Thanks for the pointer to randall elliott - I wasn't aware of him. Here's an interesting bit from the Wiki on him:

In an article in Guitar Player Magazine (July 2007) Randall was asked what rig he used to record the solo on "Reelin' in the Years". He states, "That was my '63 Fender Stratocaster with a PAF humbucker in the neck position, straight into an Ampeg SVT bass amp. The SVT wouldn't have been my first choice for an amp--or even my fifth choice--but it worked a storm on that recording!"

Thanks for the pointer to randall elliott - I wasn't aware of him. Here's an interesting bit from the Wiki on him:

In an article in Guitar Player Magazine (July 2007) Randall was asked what rig he used to record the solo on "Reelin' in the Years". He states, "That was my '63 Fender Stratocaster with a PAF humbucker in the neck position, straight into an Ampeg SVT bass amp. The SVT wouldn't have been my first choice for an amp--or even my fifth choice--but it worked a storm on that recording!"
You bet!
There is some debate over the efficacy of that articles claim and if it may have been a smoke screen to throw people off. To me IMO allegedly it sounds like a fuzz direct into the board but who really knows.

Yeah dude - you nailed that for sure (playing and tone). That kills - definitely one of the most instantly identifiable solo sounds and playing of all time.

Back
Top Bottom