LPD Tone Clone - KingsX Ty Tabor FHL/Gretchen Tone

groovenut

Power User
This is a request response for some Gretchen/Faith Hope Love Kings X guitar tones. It was fun a n d challenging to do this one! This era for Ty Tabor has a really interesting tone, especially the way he was playing then. My personal favorite two albums!

Please listen to the wav file audio clip. There is more of the song and you can get a better idea of the quality of the match!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aulhn4mfx240v6t/LPD Kings X Tone Clone.wav
https://www.dropbox.com/s/359m5disi87v9d8/LPD Kings X Tone Clone.flac

Thanks for listening!

Last edited:
Hey all I had uploaded the 24bit/48KHz wav, sorry about that. It's been fixed and the link in the OP is correct.

Thanks!

sounds pretty good, interested in what amp you used as a start point. I'm going to amp match my l5 one of these days or send to cliff for modeling.

NICE! What amp did you use?? I always wondered if a Roland Jazz Chorus would be a good starting point due to it being a solid state ap

The original amp used for the recording was solid state and used overdriven opamps for the distortion. It's not likely you are going to get that from a Roland Jazz Chorus. You best bet is to use a mildly breaking up amp and a drive pedal to emulate the overdriven opamp characteristics. A fuzz could probably be set to get pretty close.

The original amp used for the recording was solid state and used overdriven opamps for the distortion.

I know i have one :) Lab Series L5, i'm going to try to amp match it one of these days, just havent found anything good as a starting point yet.

I know i have one :) Lab Series L5, i'm going to try to amp match it one of these days, just havent found anything good as a starting point yet.

You might try the JMP1 model as a starting place as it used opamps and a clipping diode bridge feeding a single tube gain stage/cathode follower for its distortion. Though the voicing might be too Marshall for this application it worth a try. I didn't use it for my preset, but I wasn't trying to amp match either.

"Over My Head" was one of the first tunes I heard from these guys and still remains to be one of my favorite tunes by them. Absolutely love Dug's vocals and bass tone.

"Over My Head" was one of the first tunes I heard from these guys and still remains to be one of my favorite tunes by them. Absolutely love Dug's vocals and bass tone.

True story here... I used to work for a guy a long time ago and we built transmitter sites for commercial radio and TV stations. We did a job over on the Big Island of Hawaii back in 89 (Kona side). We did a complete turn key site, put up a 500' tower and transmitter building on the side of Hualalai volcano. The very first band and song that went out over the air on that station with 25Kw behind it was Kings X over my head played by non other than yours truly :D I played the entire tape. Later on I was told that we stepped on a station over in Oahu pissed them off pretty good :lol.

True story here... I used to work for a guy a long time ago and we built transmitter sites for commercial radio and TV stations. We did a job over on the Big Island of Hawaii back in 89 (Kona side). We did a complete turn key site, put up a 500' tower and transmitter building on the side of Hualalai volcano. The very first band and song that went out over the air on that station with 25Kw behind it was Kings X over my head played by non other than yours truly :D I played the entire tape. Later on I was told that we stepped on a station over in Oahu pissed them off pretty good :lol.

Cool story! I was flipping channels one day and always flipped through MTv. It hadn't gone to complete shit at this point but was well on its way. Vid from a new band just started. Kings X Over My Head. I watched the whole video, immediately went to the record store and bought the cassette (tells ya how long ago that was).

Only other band I've bought on just one listen was VH when a buddy says "check this guys solo out! He blows Ace Frehley away!". :)

Back
Top Bottom