LPD Badger Owens Avatar Vintage 112 Scumback M75 65W IR Combinations

groovenut

Power User
My good friend Tim Owens did these IRs of his Avatar Vintage 112 loaded with a new Scumback M75 65W. I put them together with the new Badger amp model and a little delay and verb. The only difference between the samples is the IR. As you can see, the IR makes a huge difference in the overall tone. Guitar was my Gibson Les Paul with a Duncan JB.

I think the labeling is correct and hopefully Tim will chime in here and let us know what magic he used to capture these fine sounding IRs. I myself am kind of partial to #6 in this preset, but both of the others sound great too!

Thanks Tim!!!

Wow, thanks for doing the demos, that was really cool. You are correct, I renamed the files but didn't think to rename the IR's themselves so 1 is 4, 2 is 5 and 3 is 6. The only magic involved would be luck. The speaker was powered by a QSC GX5, then mic'd with an Audio Technica AT4040 right up against the grill. The mic preamp was a channel in an Allen&Heath Mix Wizzard, the direct out of that channel was run into the Axe II. The first IR is centered on the cone, the second is at cone edge and the third about 2 inches off center.

My good friend Tim Owens did these IRs of his Avatar Vintage 112 loaded with a new Scumback M75 65W. I put them together with the new Badger amp model and a little delay and verb. The only difference between the samples is the IR. As you can see, the IR makes a huge difference in the overall tone. Guitar was my Gibson Les Paul with a Duncan JB.

I think the labeling is correct and hopefully Tim will chime in here and let us know what magic he used to capture these fine sounding IRs. I myself am kind of partial to #6 in this preset, but both of the others sound great too!

Thanks Tim!!!

Hi groovenut,

Cool demo of these excellent IR's!

One of the key things I've learned over the last several months has been the importance of matching one's amp-model with an appropriate/desirable IR! Cliff has alluded to this, as have many other knowledgable users (including you!) so I am trying to focus a lot more of my attention/tweaking/studies on CAB-IR's...

As far as these three clips go, I think the 2nd-clip (ir6) sounds really good by itself (as in the aformentioned context - sans other instruments.) However, I think the 1st-clip (ir5) would "cut-through-a-band-mix" better than the 2nd-clip/ir6. IMO, the 3rd-clip is a bit too dark to sit in any mix (ex: a snare-drum and/or vocals would "eat it up" - LOL!)

NOTE: Great job on all of these IR's Tim!

Bill

Back
Top Bottom