Lowest CPU usage for effect blocks

rodzimguitar68

Fractal Fanatic
Is it true that CPU utilization is affected by the effect type chosen in an effect block? If so, is it true, that if I wanted to remain in X-axis of all of my effects blocks for the duration of the song, I could squeeze more CPU out of the capacity, by programming the Y-axis of each block being used, to its lowest CPU usage effect type?

For some blocks this is true. For example: for the COMP block, CPU usage depends on the type in use -- studio uses the most CPU IIRC. In some blocks the parameter settings have a role in how much CPU is used. For example: the REV block's CPU use changes with the type, quality setting (normal or high) and the density setting (lower is less CPU) (and probably more parameters too, but those are the ones I use to dial back CPU use).

I could be wrong on this, but it seems when I've been building presets that the CPU usage is affected only by the current block in use in the grid at that time. For example on a reverb block, if I set the x-reverb to "high" and the y-reverb to a normal reverb, the CPU only goes down when the y-reverb is chosen for a given scene.

I've wondered if FAS could change things to where we could disable the "y-side" (for lack of a better term) on a given block that has x/y options to save on CPU. My guess is that wouldn't work to save CPU based on what I mentioned above.

Excellent idea. I've been pondering on this, myself, for awhile, now. I rarely use verbs, compressors, chorus, flanger, phaser, rotary or speaker cabs in an X-Y switching situation in a given preset. It would be great to simply assign "None" to the "Y" slot, to save CPU consumption, when possible. I seem to recall this can already be done with the Amp block (not at my AFX).

we're basically saying the same thing in your other thread. i'm pretty sure the Y state doesn't affect CPU until it's loaded. and then when Y is loaded, X doesn't affect CPU usage. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-reduce-cpu-usage-percentage.html#post1207957

OP mixed two questions. The first question, "Is it true that CPU utilization is affected by the effect type chosen in an effect block?", is true -- parameters and settings do change CPU use. But the no-Y-state thing doesn't make a difference.

if you have a patch with a lot of effects but you only use one per scene, yes if the bypassed effects were y state of that effect in a lower cpu version you can gain a small amount of cpu at that time but if a scene turns all the effects to the x with all high cpu versions you will go over. the effects state in a scene adds to the cpu draw(bypassed or not), but only the state showing in that scene, if it is bypassed or not. as best I can tell the x-y state not showing does not effect the cpu until it is present in the scene. or at least that is how it appears to me!

Back
Top Bottom