Low volume from S/PDIF out ?

hebaton

I am going into a focusrite 3rd gen S/PDIF in from FM3 with all set to 0DB and find I get lethargid output compared to Headphone directly into FM3
Any clues ?

I have exactly the same problem. I run the audio from my computer to the FM3 via USB and route to out1 which comes through with significantly more volume than the guitar/amp tones produced by the FM3. I route the FM3 to an SMSU DAC via coax then from the DAC to my studio monitors. I always end up pushing the volume way up on my DAC just to hear the FM3 and then way down on the computer output. Seems like the FM3 generated output volume via SPDIF is VERY low compared to other sources.

hmm, mine seems to work fine. i'm using a saffire pro 40 via spdif. Hebaton, are you possibly monitoring through your daw and maybe have a fader down somewhere?

It’s pretty quiet, yes. I run the output 1 control all the way up when I run SPDIF into my AI. It still winds up about 6db lower than other stuff.

-Aaron

That's also what I found, I boost The output by 6db to get in the ballpark. That is an issue only playing along with loopback from the host machine. Not an issue going into a Daw. But can anyone explain ?

I am going into a focusrite 3rd gen S/PDIF in from FM3 with all set to 0DB and find I get lethargid output compared to Headphone directly into FM3
Any clues ?
Just something to check that has caught me a few times with Focusrite - the Focusrite Control app may have a level set on the S/PDIF that is not full scale (e.g. "all the way up to zero") or monitor knob may not be configured to include everything you think you're turning up.

Generally I'd expect the S/PDIF to output the same levels as the source it's pointed to. If Output 1 then check that it's set to +4dbv, if it's output 2 check the Boost/Pad settings on that. The headphone out on the FM3 is linked to Output 1.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious/things you've already looked at.

Back
Top Bottom