Low Tuned Tapping, Slapping and Picked Clips [USA Lead 2, Strandberg, D Activator 7s]

Fun111

Inspired
Here are a couple clips from something I've been working on.

The guitar is .strandberg* #6 with DiMarzio D Activator 7's, my rhythm patch is purely USA Lead 2 into the two Recto cabs blended slightly, no other EQ or drives. My lead is TX Star Lead with BB drive into the same cabs plus 2290 delay (built in, not the actual unit), clean is Jazz Clean into same cabs (give great consistency live) with some compression up front. Bass is my Warwick Corvette $$ into SV Bass and 810 just to add a we bit of dirt.

There's not a lot of stuff like this around so thought I'd share mine :)

Last edited:
Nice work! How are you liking that Strandberg? Almost got one myself recently... going for a Skervesen instead. :)

I absolutely love it, it weighs nothing, is crazy comfortable to play in basically any position and has its own completely original sound that's just perfect for me. When I get my next custom .s* I may be done with buying guitars for a loooong time.

They gotta be tried, once you get the chance to play one it'll make sense straight away :)

Thanks!

Mine is Swedish, as is my other order, the S7 ones are the 'production' guitars, Ola still makes the customs. Fred, the guy bought my current strandberg from is an advocate of Skegersen, not really into em myself. Having owned the strandberg I soothe money I'm gunna be putting into the next doesn't worry me anywhere near as much as it should haha.

Last edited:
its rook from ss.org isnt it?
i love this stuff dude. ive been doing something like, but a lot more simple haha. ive been struggling to get the cleanness out of it myself.
i still think you need to do a play through vid on the ol' youtube man!!

It is indeed :)

I will do man, since you asked. You'll probably be surprised how simple the left hand is, it's just getting the picking rhythmic. Don't have a YouTube account, guess ill have to make one haha.

Thanks guys, you're awfully kind!

@brycegoertzen Neither specifically, I played bass for a loooong time (in tandem with guitar, not instead) and use my thumb for a sort of slap/thump mixed with thumb picking but without the pick, I then pop with my first finger. I started doing it years ago on bass because my bass didn't sound right to me unless I was absolutely hammering it, and fingering hard hurt my wrist after a time as I couldn't do it too quickly or move from string to string cleanly. My way, used with left hand hammering-on, always has the same jangle to every hit. I'm sure there's a name to it but I don't know what it is haha.

It also translates to picking well, so if for some reason I stil have a pick in my hand, I can't jump from string to string as quickly, but I can emulate the sound, similar if I don't have a pick it still sounds right.

Thanks again guys, your comments are seriously appreciated.

You have a great overall sound Fun111. I like the articulate and direct form of expression. Keep em coming, oh I'm gonna follow you alright!

that sounds awesome. really distinctive with nice dynamics.

i'm gonna get flak for asking this, but what bareknuckle neck pickup would best resemble that sound? I have a parker p-40 (cheapest, discontinued model) that had a really nice/similar tone. i don't know how you describe it, but that sounds like certain guitars' "inner-coil" feature. I don't have that option on the new guitar I have coming in, but I'm ordering a BKP bridge for it, so I thought it would be convenient to match it with a BKP neck to get a similar sound. thanks, and nice clips!

Sounds awesome man!! Any chance you could do a tutorial on slapping? I can do it on bass but I find it very difficult on my 7-string. I can never get the fundamental to come out, I usually get harmonics no matter where I play.

Back
Top Bottom