Low String THUMP!

I agree...
I have learned too much from CHRIS's video about setting levels.
If i have to lower the volume after adding the cab, i prefer turning back to amp block and lower the level to a noncliping amount. It's ok to see -20db on a high gain amp block i think. So don't think the output levels should be high.

Instead of lowering every block, just use the amp block's output level fot the overall preset's level and check the final situation on the VU meters.

Correct me if i'm wrong but that's what i have learned.

So you are thinking that a lot of the clipping "boominess" is due to the cab? What's better change the cab or lower the bass on a cab I've already chosen? Also with the VU meters, I was looking to get my regular patches at 0db and 4db for leads, are you saying that I should be at something like -4 and 0 or even lower?

Okay so basically just lower the overall volume of the patches across the board and jack it up using the output volume knob on the front? I like the way the bottom sounds for leads and pick attack so I don't want to dink around with it. I can do this! Where should I do the cutting of volume in the amp block or at the end at the output block. I run two outputs on through the output and one through the FX block for my monitoring so I'd need to cut back the volume on both blocks if I went that route.

You want to do it in the amp block.

I agree...
I have learned too much from CHRIS's video about setting levels.
If i have to lower the volume after adding the cab, i prefer turning back to amp block and lower the level to a noncliping amount. It's ok to see -20db on a high gain amp block i think. So don't think the output levels should be high.

Instead of lowering every block, just use the amp block's output level fot the overall preset's level and check the final situation on the VU meters.

Correct me if i'm wrong but that's what i have learned.

Using amp level only will work fine in most cases I suspect, however, I tend to compensate for the added volume introduced by a typical cab block by adjusting the cab level. In this way, when I have presets that contain both an frfr signal with cab to output 1 and non-frfr signal without cab to output 2 (tapped off the routing before the cab block), I will have very similar signal levels within the AxeFx for both output 1 and 2 (which is great for me since I'm kind of an obsessive neat freak wrt to such things). If I were to compensate for the added volume introduced by the cab by adjusting amp level then I might end up with an output 2 level which is quieter than I'd like.

This is more of a matter of preference really for most applications I think as there is more than one way to skin a cat. Levelling with amp-level is fine in most cases - and simpler. Perhaps an expert could chime in on if there may be a difference in using cab level as well in that: if I attenuate with cab-level instead of amp-level, am I changing the cab tone in any way? (i.e. is the amp driving the cab more and therefore perhaps some cab parameter like motor drive may sound different with a slightly higher input level coming in).

Okay so basically just lower the overall volume of the patches across the board and jack it up using the output volume knob on the front?

Wrt to the Output knob - no - not necessarily. My practice is:

1 - Achieve highest levels possible in the patch (within the Axefx) with NO output clipping regardless of how hard you strum and no matter whats on/off or hi/low in you patch.
2 - Set the output knob to give your outboard amplification a healthy signal while hopefully leaving room to tweak up or down (for me, output 1 can usually be set at noon to provide a good signal out and leaves me lots of up/down tweak room using the very convenient output 1 knob)
3 - Adjust real volume using your outboard gears attenuation knobs (power amp volume knob, monitor volume knob, ... whatever). Of course if your outboard amplification has no convenient attenuation capability (i.e. like many studio monitors), then the AxeFx output knob is your real volume knob.

Because maybe amp block cause clipping and if you lower the cab block volume, the axe's red light won't lit even the amp block overloads the cab.. Just use the amp's level control so you will be sure that any of the blocks don't cause overload.

Watching now... he does say not to use the cabinet to lower the volume but doesn't say why

+1 - since I use the Cab level as part of my levelling process I'd like to know why it's not recommended. Perhaps in extreme cases where the amp is way too hot and cab level only is used to bring the level down to an acceptable levels, a result could occur where the cab is being incorrectly overdriven. I do agree that amp level is the best primary level controller. I see the cab level as a secondary controller to compensate for what the cab block does to the signal level (I think -20db was mentioned somewhere above but I don't see it as nearly that high - usually my cab level compensation is only about -5 or -6 db).

I don't know if it is recommended or not but i prefer setting levels as the way he does on the video. -20db thing is not about the cab block. It may be required to lower the amp block level to that amounts if you add several blocks after the amp, most of the blocks increase the volume..

I think we need a more experienced user who has better English :) I can't speak very well.

I don't know if it is recommended or not but i prefer setting levels as the way he does on the video. -20db thing is not about the cab block. It may be required to lower the amp block level to that amounts if you add several blocks after the amp, most of the blocks increase the volume..

I think we need a more experienced user who has better English :)

Bueller?

Having watched that video all the way through now, I would say adjusting cab level to compensate for the increased volume the cab introduces is close to what he recommends at the end of the vid for other blocks. He uses wah as an example where he adjusts the wah's level to compensate for the added volume introduced by the wah block while the amp level remains the primary preset level control. This is pretty well what the method I'm using is also, with the cab block being one of those blocks (like wah) that's likely going to need a compensating level adjustment.

Now that I've flogged this horse to near death, guess I'll go do some strumming. :)

Having watched that video all the way through now, I would say adjusting cab level to compensate for the increased volume the cab introduces is close to what he recommends at the end of the vid for other blocks. He uses wah as an example where he adjusts the wah's level to compensate for the added volume introduced by the wah block while the amp level remains the primary preset level control. This is pretty well what the method I'm using is also, with the cab block being one of those blocks (like wah) that's likely going to need a compensating level adjustment.

Now that I've flogged this horse to near death, guess I'll go do some strumming. :)

Yes you are right, I watched again and saw the detail that you mentioned. ;)

Post the preset so we can see how you have it tuned. It acts like there is too much of something in the low end that is causing the clipping.

Post the preset so we can see how you have it tuned. It acts like there is too much of something in the low end that is causing the clipping.

+1 - I'd like to try and level it to not clip without changing the tone in any way.

ahh yes... This is an international forum, it's referring to a movie where he is calling the name of an individual that is not present. In my reference, we had mentioned how we were waiting for somebody with more experience to chime in, they weren't present so I was "calling their name".

Back
Top Bottom