Low Resonance Frequency and Speakers / Cabinet Choice

imrecs

Inspired
Reading up on low resonance frequency and speaker/cabinet choice...

So the idea is to use a cabinet that's matched to the amp based upon it's low res setting, or otherwise alter the low res setting to fit the chosen cabinet?

So it's both the cabinet resonance and the speaker resonance that come into play here? How do you figure out what resonance to set the amp, based upon both cabinet and speaker information? And what about when combining IRs with different speakers? (I often use 3 different speaker IRs in one cabinet from Ownhammer)

What's the best way to figure out which cabinets pair best with which amps when auditioning combinations? Where can I find information on both the cabinet resonance and the speaker resonance?

Any other factors come into play when adjusting an advanced amp parameter to work best with a particular speaker? Or is it just this low frequency resonance? I rarely feel the need to adjust advanced parameters on the amps (just basic bass, mid, treble, presence, gain, etc.). If I don't like the amp, I chose another amp. But this one seems to be important when matching an amp with a cab.

An example: some advice to illustrate the proper method would help.

I use the Deluxe Verb / Tweed Deluxe as X/Y states into an Ownhammer Bogner 4x12 w/ 3 Irs.
Bogner 4x12 - can't find information on the resonant frequency of the cabinet - anyone?
Celestion Alnico Silver/Blue (57/121) - 75hz resonant frequency i believe
EV-L (421 mixed -6db) - 55hz resonant frequency i believe
Fane Purple Back (414 mixed -12db). - 60hz resonant frequency i believe

How would I calculate the proper low res setting for the Deluxe Verb and Tweed Deluxe?

You've already got the perfect tool for the job, your ears.

Adjust it until it sounds subjectively "best" to your ears.

In the real world I don't think anyone ever worries about this stuff, you just make sure your not sticking a 16ohm load onto a 4 ohm speaker out etc, but of all the amps and all the cabs I've owned, I've never once worried about matching LF resonant frequency to a given amp. You just plug into a cab and jam, see how it sounds. You like the cab or you don't. If it sounds good to you, then its a good amp/cab combo.

We've got so much control these days, which is awesome, but I think we also totally over think/analyze stuff to the point of paralysis analysis sometimes. Its just music at the end of the day, "wrong" values aren't going to damage anything, result in a lose of life etc. We aren't trying to land a satellite on an asteroid. We are pairing a virtual amp to a virtual cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom