Low Friction Volume Pot Advice Needed

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I want to replace a sticky volume pot on one of my HSS Strats and I'm looking for options.

Here are the specs I found for the part that's currently installed:

Alpha RV16A-10D6-20K-A500K-10U7
500k - knurled split shaft - 3/8 inch long - threaded collar 3/8 inch diameter

I bought a Bourns for my 500k volume pot replacement and it is very low friction. It might be a bit too low, because I sometimes accidentally nudge it when adjusting my tone knob but it does the job nicely.

If low friction is the priority then Bourns are proven. Very good pots. The EVH is the same pot for more money.

My personal favorites are the Alfa's Anderson uses and the RS Guitarworks Super pots. Neither are quite as loose as the Bourns though.

I use the EVH pots as of late they are fast pots I like the feel of them, I also like the Dunlop super pot, and I find the PRS pots pretty quick as well.

On some pots you can open them up and clean out the damping grease that gives them that smooth drag when turning. Some are easier to disassemble than others.

On some pots you can open them up and clean out the damping grease that gives them that smooth drag when turning. Some are easier to disassemble than others.
When I run into the ones that are too stiff my first go-to is some control cleaner spray. A little shot then work it a bit and see what happens. Usually they loosen nicely. Too loose and a tiny brush of my finger will change it, which pisses me off.

I figure I’m already unhappy with the control so messing with it won’t hurt because I’m already part way down the path of changing it out.

I want to replace a sticky volume pot on one of my HSS Strats and I'm looking for options.

Here are the specs I found for the part that's currently installed:

Alpha RV16A-10D6-20K-A500K-10U7
500k - knurled split shaft - 3/8 inch long - threaded collar 3/8 inch diameter
Email Tomas and see what they source for the Majesty.

I had a low friction volume pot years ago on my strat, it was cool to do pinky-swells with it but I ended up hating it cuz I often turned it by accident while strumming and it was constantly screwing up my performances, so I replaced it with a standard one. But maybe it was just my poor technique's fault 😅

I had a low friction volume pot years ago on my strat, it was cool to do pinky-swells with it but I ended up hating it cuz I often turned it by accident while strumming and it was constantly screwing up my performances, so I replaced it with a standard one. But maybe it was just my poor technique's fault 😅
Same feel here, I stick to « standard » ones too if I can. Pots That turned by accident is really a pain. Depends the way you play also.

di marzio got great replacement part, and CTS ones works great too. But I have many guitars with shitty small unnamed pots that work ☺️

Back
Top Bottom