Low end taxing my power amp?

rsf1977

Fractal Fanatic
just noticed something at last practice I was using the Radely EQ tips on a high gain patch and there was a bit more low end then before but usable good low end and my power amp was having a really hard time getting up to my old room volume without going into clipping? Just curious why that was happening? And is there anything I should do to try and ease that burden. My power amp is Carvin DCM1540L that I power (2) 4x12s from

where are you setting the blocking freq. in the para. eq.?the burden on power amps is always the low end.the more lows,the harder the amp has to work.2 4x12's at what ohm's?

i'm placing the PEQ after the amp blocks i'm not using any Cab blocks. And the 2 cabs are 16 and 8 ohms

no,i'm sorry,i meant what freq.'s are you blocking (para eq. bands 1 & 5)?the ohms shouldn't be a prob.i might be wrong,but that means your pow. amp is seeing around a 5 ohm load.?the Carvin shouldn't have a problem there.(or are you running bridged with cabs daisy chained?)

I'll have to check later the freqs, but i'm running 2 cabs in parallel one cab from the carvin right output and another cab from the carvin left output. No bridging

Lower frequencies are indeed more taxing on your poweramp than the higher ones. I'd suggest putting a PEQ at the end of your chain, and block out anything below 80hz as a start, and move up according to taste. It may make the guitar sound "thinner" by itself, but it will actually sound better in the mix with the bass guitar, and you'll be able to push your poweramp harder.

Back
Top Bottom