Low cut/high cut

ant5150

I used to turn as little knobs as possible when I was running through an actual amp head and cab. But since I changed over to direct, the first thing I noticed was that I had to turn down the high cut and turn up the low cut on the amp block. I recently have been doing the same on all the other effects in the chain to match the amp settings. Seems to really tighten it up on my setup. I'm just curious if you do the same.

Depending on which amp sim you are using it can effect things differently within the amp sim which is why I predominantly use these same functions in the cab block instead, unless of course that is the intent. The beauty of the Axe is there is no right or wrong way just different results.

Yeah I cut all my patches in the cab block. About 80 on dirty patches and depending on the amp 7k to 10k. On clean patches I low cut at 120 not 80.

I always do my cutting in the Cab block. I tend to cut the top at 12k as this gives a nice sheen and good harmonics at the top end, I compensate for this by not having the treble/presence too high in the amp. The bass depends more on the amp type and the amount of dirt, but varies from 80 to about 115Hz.

I do cuts in can blk. I typically won't do any cutting in an fx blk (except maybe the drive blk)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, in the Cab block.

Also, Delay and Reverb, and Multi-Delay (Plex), and Flanger, and Phaser (Tone), and PEQ, and Pitch.

As others have mentioned, some fx blocks have the ability to cut high and low frequencies. One particular effect I use this on is chorus, when it is placed after the amp. If it is on a heavy patch and the chorus is being used for a thickening effect, then I will cut the high to 5k or less. This allows the effect to be dialled in quite thickly without affecting the overall tone of the sound. I normally have the chorus in parallel.

Of course, if the idea of the patch is for an 80s clean sound, then you would probably want to cut the lows and leave the top as is.

I do my cuts in the cab block.

The only other place I use the high/low cuts is in the delay block to shape the tone of the repeats.

I used to avoid the cab block low/high filters because I felt like using them was somehow "cheating". Maybe cheating isn't the right word. But I refused to use them because I thought that there was no need -- I wanted the cab to reproduce the full bandwidth of sound coming from the amp block, and I spent all my time in the amp block twisting every dang knob to get things just right.

I have since stopped banging my head against the wall.

The cab block cuts are really key. I do it by ear, but I find that the low end always has at least a cut up to 80hz or so. I made a patch recently to try to mimic Nuno's tone from the second Extreme record, and found I had to cut way higher than that -- almost up to 200hz to get it to sound like it needed to. It's important for me to remember these aren't brick-wall filters, there's a roll-off after the cut point.

These days I'm always cutting the high down to at least 10K on clean sounds, more for dirty tones, though I don't go much lower than 6K because it starts to sound muffled to me.

The fallacy of IRs is the assumption it will perform the cuts for you. You still have low and high cut in my experience when going to a wide range frfr monitor.

I run my Axe FX into a Matrix power and then into Marshall 4x12 cabs. I tend to leave the high cut alone but I use more low cut to help the sound fit in the mix better. I was told by a very good local sound guy that he pretty much always ends up cutting low end from guitars when setting up his live mixes.

Back
Top Bottom