Loving the axe 2 for bass guitar

How do most of you monitor and listen to bass through the Axe FX II? I've got an Atomic CLR and have been trying very hard to build a decent sounding bass patch using the bass amps & cabs that are built in and am struggling quite a bit. I'm wondering if it's my monitor set up? I know CLR's are full range, but any bass patches I try to build using just an amp and cab model sound thin and fake, even after considerable tweaking of the tone stack and other advanced parameters.

For my AX8 l use either studio monitors (Yamaha HS8 and sub) or a QSC K10.2. My difficulty was getting a clear sound; the stock cabs were dull and muddy to my ears. Tried some 3 Sigma cabs and found some good starting points with the Markbass and Trace Elliot stuff.

What do you use for monitoring jimfist?

Active Atomic CLR (original version) for sound creation at home, cranked up to gig levels if possible. On the gig, I'll often use passive CLR cabinets (a pair), but will also use a pair of ported 15" cabinets loaded with actively crossed-over Ciare 15" coaxial drivers. The Ciare based cabinets are nowhere near as flat as the CLRs, but they do offer more of the traditional bass cabinet experience, which is nice. When I'm gigging, the FOH always gets an unfettered direct feed off of my modeler, and on stage I'll usually have some EQ & Volume control to accommodate stage needs as I see fit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom