Love my FX8 Mark II, but

For me it´s very frustrating - to read about the fantastic III and at the same time to beg half a year for a firmware that is not buggy (MIDI, Backup) and nothing happens. Not at least a reaction "we work on it"... nothing... I'm thinking of selling all my fractal products ;-(

I'd say a good 90% of the updates have addressed things related to amp modeling, adding new amp models, changing how the power amp section breaks up, etc etc.

I can't really remember when the last night the effects blocks were updated in the II or the AX8, though there have been lots of updates

Since the FX8 doens't do amp modeling its not getting updated as much, but the effects should be on par with the AX8 and II

If the previous firmware versions were somehow lacking and also had issues or bugs, I could see the point. Version 5.03 works just fine so why not just stick with it for the time being? The FX8 doesn't somehow start to suck when a new firmware version is released. I bought the FX8 at firmware version 1.02 and if they made no further improvements or enhancements from that point on, I would have been extremely happy with it and continued to use it.

This idea that Fractal has somehow "abandoned" the FX8 is ludicrous. With the release of the III as well as losing one of the main firmware writers/developers seems like valid reasons that there hasn't been the every-other-week release. Sell your stuff and be mad if you want, seems rather juvenile to me. On the other hand, you could stick with version 5.03 (or earlier) and use arguably the best multi-effects pedalboard on the market.

From an effects point of view the only think the III really has is the added tri-chorus setting in the chorus block, and a new delay with more taps. The flanger, phaser, drive blocks etc are all still the same options, parameters, sounds etc as what is the FX8, AX8 and II.

The III does a lot more stuff of course, but if one would be using it just for effects, its hardly any different than what the FX8 with current firmware provides....

Hi Sonofiam, 5.03 doesn`t work for me because I need the correct working X/Y MIDI CCs. I'm a fractal user of "the first hour" Axe-Fx, Axe-FX Ultra, Axe-FX 2, XL+, AX8, FX8. I agree that we have no "right" for new features but I think it´s a good service to fix bugs or to give a short information "we work on it".

Most companies that sell multi fx never do updates. It comes from the factory loaded with its default firmware and that's it. I used a G system for many years.. zero updates. In my opinion every update we get is a free gift. The sense of entitlement on the forum is ridiculous.

Hi Sonofiam, 5.03 doesn`t work for me because I need the correct working X/Y MIDI CCs. I'm a fractal user of "the first hour" Axe-Fx, Axe-FX Ultra, Axe-FX 2, XL+, AX8, FX8. I agree that we have no "right" for new features but I think it´s a good service to fix bugs or to give a short information "we work on it".
Being a 'first hour' user, your sentiment is a bit surprising since it appears Fractal has always kept things pretty close to the vest and are careful with what they say or don't say. They did say they would work on a fix and they're pretty good at following through so I would imagine they are either working on it or will work on it as they have the time and resources available.

Firmware updates... meh. I’m very happy with my tonal options on older FW versions. Unless there’s some new functionality, such as when Scenes were added, I generally only update once every couple of years and even then wonder why I made so much work for myself.

The latest release v5.04 does have a backup bug that was added, which is a step backwards. I do hope that Fractal fixes this. I assume we'll see another update when the AXII and AX8 are updated.

With the release of the III as well as losing one of the main firmware writers/developers seems like valid reasons that there hasn't been the every-other-week release. .

Where did you see a post of Fractal losing a firmware developer?

Back
Top Bottom