Loud Live settings.

Pete

Inspired
Any guidance….

As everyone has said previously.. setting up effects for LIVE use is completely different from studio/study use… I’m running a Ultra into a Matrix and then into a pair of 15 inch/ 1.5 inch driver 600 watt Full range speakers.
Amp sims on and Cab sims on.

I think I made the error of trying to turn studio sounds into LOUD LIVE sounds and getting overly complicated.

I’ve read on here that many notch the lows down in the global EQ to start with.

I’m after High gain rhythm sounds.. for the likes of Iron Maiden etc…

Any tips… EQ, PEQ, Filters

Thanks for asking this question I would love some suggestions as well I run 2 k12 speakers live I'm lookin for a high gain Sound like killswitch engage, machinehead, bullet for my valentine and I know everyone will go 808 5150 v30cab I've used all that stuff and I'm close I just wants some tip for setting and playing high gain stuff live thanks

I don't change my global EQ for gigs. The best advice I have is make your patches from scratch on your gig rig at gig volume.

Also, I find delay more useful the reverb most of the time live.

For quick maintenance turning down 63 and 125Hz is worth a try. Or a PEQ at the end of the routing, try blocking lows at 120Hz, and high at 6kHz.

great!!
cartoons6.jpg
cartoons7.jpg
cartoons8.jpg

Keep in mind the equal loudness contour curves (Fletcher-Munson). If you created your presets at lower volume levels, they are likely to have much more low- and high-frequency energies than presets created at gigging "stage volume" levels. Boosting a bedroom-created preset to stage volumes will usually have way too much "bass" and "treble".

Cool.. thanks for the replies... I finally got what I think is a decent loud live sound.. and as you have pointed out I only got there by arriving for practice an hour before everyone else. :)
My method was to find my gig volume and then go past it and work my preset... on backing back down to gig volume I found it doesn't adversely affect the tone too much but I know I can notch it up if need be and not get twisted with highs (mainly)... the other thing I find amazingly awesome is the Volume INCR and DECR IA's... but... what level is this adjusting? I went into edit mode amp settings and was hitting my INCR IA switch but couldn't see any levels rising.. are the INCR and DECR cc's purely a software knob equivilant of the OUT 1 knob?

the other thing I find amazingly awesome is the Volume INCR and DECR IA's... but... what level is this adjusting? I went into edit mode amp settings and was hitting my INCR IA switch but couldn't see any levels rising.. are the INCR and DECR cc's purely a software knob equivilant of the OUT 1 knob?

It's the Level in the main Preset mixer (Layout menu).

I don't see a difference for studio and live. If the sounds you did in your studio sounds bad live, then something is wrong.

tonygtr - I don't follow. Everything I have read has suggested that making presets in a studio enviroment (less volume) is totally different to making live presets. What sounds good in a studio requires tweaks at gig volume...

I don't see a difference for studio and live. If the sounds you did in your studio sounds bad live, then something is wrong.

Live and studio are radically different so you need a live sound and a studio sound speakers up loud have a different frequency response that's why

tonygtr - I don't follow. Everything I have read has suggested that making presets in a studio enviroment (less volume) is totally different to making live presets. What sounds good in a studio requires tweaks at gig volume...

100% true. Need reign I'm lows and highs live

I typically chop off bass generously. Typically everything below 120hz gets lopped off, but I've been known to chop off stuff even below 250hz :eek: the high end is usually not that much of a problem, because most of my stuff doesn't have that much treble, but you can lop off everything above 6K like yek suggested.

Live, bass is the enemy. You'll get more than enough bass even if you chop off everything below 120hz. Even if it sounds a little thin by itself, your bassist will cover that range anyway.

I also play bass and I chop off everything below 80Hz, and by the time it gos thru FoH, there's still too much bass there. So for guitar, feel free to chop off bass frequencies.

Sorry, I don't agree at all. Just as I use the same synth or drum samples live and in the studio, I use the same guitar sounds too.

Back
Top Bottom