Loud annoying electronic static noise

Kaldeth

I have noticed a very obvious electronic static noise coming from my axe fx II when recording and jamming. After some testing, I have figured out that this noise is mostly tied to my input volume in I/O settings. 0% sounds like normal natural ungated amp hiss and a 50% setting ( my optimal input level) sounds like electronic static and beeping. My setup chain is: Guitar - Korg rack tuner - Little labs DI box - Axe FX. I have tried going directly into the Axe FX but still got similar results with this unwanted noise coming through at any input volume setting above 0%. Here are some links to some recording of the noise I captured so you can hear what I'm talking about.

In the following clips you'll hear me start with the volume nob on my guitar off, then I bring it up the full volume and play a part with a ringing out chord at the end to hear decay into the background noise.

Input setting 0% (weak signal to the amp resulting in low gain and sustain)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqtmbq1ss7qyfep/AXE FX NOISE INPUT 0.wav?dl=0

Input setting 50% (good signal level going into amp resulting in desired amount of gain and sustain)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6wnyr4w4u8o6pc/AXE FX NOISE INPUT 50.wav?dl=0

That doesn't sound like an unusual amount of noise for that much gain. Was the noise gate activated on either clip? The intelligent input gate is probably the best tool to deal with this sort of noise.

Were those clips guitar direct to Axe-FX, or did they have those other items in the path? Have you tried a different guitar?

If most of the noise goes away when you turn the guitar volume to 0, it's probably not an Axe-FX issue.

I guess its not that its an unusual amount, it just doesn't sound like natural amp hiss when I turn the input level higher than 0%. and yes I did try going directly from my guitar into the axe fx front input but was still getting a similar sound. In these clips, I am running through my normal signal chain with the input gate off. What I found is that I can eliminate this static noise by turning the gate up to around -40db however, when playing a chord that rings out for a long time as in the recorded clips you can hear this static noise still coming through as the guitar sustain decays. I have also tried 3 different guitars but heard no difference.

I have the same issue. Got it to be 90% gone, by disconnecting usb connection to pc, using digital out/in with my Focusrite 6i, and putting a gate in my effects chain at -60db.

Other things to try. Amp Input trim on the AMP in your preset. Normally it’s 1.0000 so try less than that until you get the desired effect. Slightly turn down AMP master volume, then compensate by adding volume back into cabinet setting. If you are using drive in front of AMP reduce the drive below 5. I run it on 2 using Super OD or TS drive. Try different guitars to see if the sound changes with different guitars. One of my guitars with active pickups was worse. Some guitars are not shielded well and they pickup radio frequently and WiFi static.

In short, you do several small tweaks to different things to get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom