Lost Confidence with the FBT Verve 12ma

Like the title says i think i have lost my confidence with the Verve. I just recieved my 3rd speaker today (2 have broke already) , i plugged it in called up a clean sound on the axe and straight away it was distorted like a driver or something with the speaker was broken. This is the second speaker to do this to me the first one managed 2 and half gigs before doing this, it sounded exactly the same just like the speaker was 'Farting' for want of better word. The second broken verve was not really the verves fault as this did work but DHL had manged to break the chassis of the speaker in transit so it wasn't really giggable!!!!
My point is this, as a gigging full time musician i need gear that i can rely on to work seven days a week ( yes i know that gear can always break but you know what i mean) and the two broken speakers do not fill me with confidence that they will work as i need them to. So im on the look out for a new solution as this has now been going on since September, shipping back and forth to Thomann from UK takes time!In the meantime its back to the trusty Fender :shock: and floorboard.
Anyone else had any problem with their FBT speakers???

Jack :roll:

I have been pummeling my Verve 12ma since last August ... no problems at all ... I guees there is a lemon in every bunch, but you do not often hear of any problems with the Verves.

My pair of 12ma's have been perfect (weekly gigs), back of SUV, no airplanes.
Personally I love their versitility (monitor or FOH) and their looks.

Sounds like either you are having an incredible run of bad luck or you're doing something wrong. I have two 12ma's and both have been stable, and I fly with them (this weekend I'm taking my first flight with the Atomic so that should be interesting!!).

Thanks for the replies, i guess its just my bad luck then i'm definately not doing anything wrong as i quickly checked into my studio monitors and all was fine fine with them and i 've been running the axe fx for well over a year now with no problems. I hadn't needed to buy FRFR till september this year as i was on a contract gig where i used their monitor system and since the contract was to run out in October i decided to treat myself to the FBT's. The system i had been using was a Martin Audio LE1500S (monitor) powered by old school Crown Macro tech amps which sounded incredible, i couldn't fault them.
I'm still undecided whether or not to take a try on another Verve i have about a week to decide. If not its my money back and look for something else, i'm sticking to the powered monitor option in any case as i dont want to go back to guitar cabs or the next idea is when a decent digital IEM becomes an option!

Jack.

I've been gigging steadily with a 12ma for close to a year now. We use an 8ma for our drummer's monitor. I just picked up another pair of 8ma's for stage monitors - 24lbs of whoop ass a piece :lol:

I have 2 FBT 12MA's that I beat the shit out of on a regular basis...had them for a while now...I think I was one of the first to get on the FBT train...I've had no issues at all and I'm extremely happy...so much so, that I've no interest in trying out any other gear (including the Fratomic).

I now have a pair of FBT 12m's that I have been pounding on with my SLA-2 for a few weeks with no issues, thought it's not really saying much considering I'm only throughing 200 watts at them but they have been loud and clean enough that I don't really need any more power.

Thanks for the replies everybody, i guess i've been on the end of some bad luck gear wise recently pretty much all of my road gear bar a couple of items has gone down with one thing or another this last few months. Bad things are supposed to happen in 3's not 7's or 8's like i seemed to have suffered but thats music equipment for you??? Having had some time to think about this now i'm leaning on going with an IEM not decided which yet and a relativly cheap FRFR powered box to give the rest of the band a general wash of guitar on the stage.

Jack.

Jackthehat said:
Thanks for the replies everybody, i guess i've been on the end of some bad luck gear wise recently pretty much all of my road gear bar a couple of items has gone down with one thing or another this last few months. Bad things are supposed to happen in 3's not 7's or 8's like i seemed to have suffered but thats music equipment for you??? Having had some time to think about this now i'm leaning on going with an IEM not decided which yet and a relativly cheap FRFR powered box to give the rest of the band a general wash of guitar on the stage.

Jack.
If you've had several failures in a short interval, it may just be bad luck... but you may have powered your gear with bad electrical power? Do you use a power conditioner? Do you religiously check the outlet with one of them electrical circuit testers before plugging in your gear? Just a thought....

Daniel

Dpoirier said:
Jackthehat said:

Jack.
If you've had several failures in a short interval, it may just be bad luck... but you may have powered your gear with bad electrical power? Do you use a power conditioner? Do you religiously check the outlet with one of them electrical circuit testers before plugging in your gear? Just a thought....

Daniel

+2 on this. When I gig at different venues I don't care if a guy had his boutique tube amp pluged the outlet I'm going to use or if it's a brand new building or from the 18th century. I always check an outlets polarity and voltage first and only takes seconds to do. 99% of the time it's all good, but that 1% that lurks can potentially wipe out your rig.

Back
Top Bottom