Looper Mode Clipping

Ok, I know "Tickling the Reds" is appropriate and DOES not mean i'm clipping. But exactly how much should I be "Tickling" them? I am in a 2 piece band and play prog/fusion metal and I use the looper a lot. Obviously when you loop something you are doubling the signal, I get that, but I cannot seem to control the clipping when I create loops and then play over them. I recently adjusted the Instrument Input level in I/O settings…I ended up taking it down to about 20 instead of 50…I was barely seeing the RED LED's at this point…i believe that is correct?

Setup:
-Looper at End of chain-looper mix set to 50% ( I compensate with a 2-3 db boost volume block instead of setting the looper mix to 48% bc I don't like the dip in volume when I cut the loop)
-Almost always adjust volume of patches with the Amp block's Main out level knob (Is this correct or is there a better way? I want to make sure patch switching is seamless and that my loops AND patches remain consistent in volume etc.)
-Use Expression pedal to control Reverb/delay time/feedback for some serious ambient sounds etc. but this too often causes clipping.

The I/O setting change helped a lot but I am still getting some clipping on certain guitar phrases…

Im curious to hear of other setups and workflows in the signal chain to achieve maximum SNR w/o clipping…maybe I'm missing something…

thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom