Looper/MIDI Questions

jshirkey

Experienced
Is it possible to sync the looper with a DAW or a plugin running inside the DAW? I guess what I'm thinking about doing is creating a rhythm loop using EZ Drummer/EZ Bass inside Logic, and then using the looper as a song writing tool. Could I use MIDI to sync the tempos of the looper and my DAW? Could I start/stop the rhythm loops using MIDI commands from my FC-12 to the AF3 as well?

Sort of. You can send CC from a midi track to trigger the looper so it starts when your playback starts, but there's no synchronization to beat or tempo to ensure it follows your DAW.

Sort of. You can send CC from a midi track to trigger the looper so it starts when your playback starts, but there's no synchronization to beat or tempo to ensure it follows your DAW.

Is there anything else you do using MIDI with the looper? Is MIDI tempo sync something Fractal could potentially add? Thanks.

IIrc there is a loop quantize parameter (see block guide) and the III/FM9/FM3 sync to an external midi tempo (FM3 manual p. 85). try to play around with that to see if it does what you want.

Is there a reason you don’t want to simply keep all loop functionality within your DAW (so that your AFX output is a source device to be recorded)?

IIrc there is a loop quantize parameter (see block guide) and the III/FM9/FM3 sync to an external midi tempo (FM3 manual p. 85). try to play around with that to see if it does what you want.
So, external MIDI tempo sync wouldn't be found in the looper block's parameters? I do see loop quantize listed as a parameter. I'll look for the comparable section in the AF3 manual.

So, external MIDI tempo sync wouldn't be found in the looper block's parameters? I do see loop quantize listed as a parameter. I'll look for the comparable section in the AF3 manual.
Look at the Blocks Guide. There's no difference there between the units...

You can sync midi clock from the AF to logic. Beat clock is not the most reliable and honestly it is very quirky with the AF. I find the tempo takes a tad longer to respond to sync to logic/ableton than some other devices.

Thanks, everybody. I'll just start messing with it and see what I can't and can't do. It may work perfectly fine for my needs.

Not sure if this would help you or not, but here’s what I do with the looper. Get the groove I want to play to going in Superior Drummer, send
that to the looper in the Axe via the usb block and record a loop of the drums. Then I stop SD3 on the pc, and play and record over the drum groove on the looper. If I get something I like, I then record what’s on the Axe looper into Reaper.

Not sure if this would help you or not, but here’s what I do with the looper. Get the groove I want to play to going in Superior Drummer, send
that to the looper in the Axe via the usb block and record a loop of the drums. Then I stop SD3 on the pc, and play and record over the drum groove on the looper. If I get something I like, I then record what’s on the Axe looper into Reaper.

Thanks! I would never have thought of that.Basically, I'm exploring the different ways I could use the looper with rhythm tracks as a songwriting tool to get ideas going, so that helps a lot.

Back
Top Bottom