Wish Looper decay/fade out like most loopers on the market

I don't have an fm3 but I think in the axe fx you could control the looper volume with an expression pedal.

I don't have an fm3 but I think in the axe fx you could control the looper volume with an expression pedal.

I think it's doable but that's not what I'm talking about.

We should be able to:

1: Have a loop fade out when stopped, and this, within a pre-defined number of seconds (absolute must).

2: Have a loop decay when played, and this, for a pre-defined number of seconds/minutes (must).

3: Have every layer of a loop individually decay when played, and this, for a pre-defined number of seconds/minutes (nice to have).

Last edited:
that sounds complicated to set up. do you always use the same fade/decay for every thing when you use loops?

I never understood the fade out function. I just need it to stop at the end of a loop, like how the Once function currently works. Can you describe a bit how you use a fade? Do you play over that fade?

I never understood the fade out function. I just need it to stop at the end of a loop, like how the Once function currently works. Can you describe a bit how you use a fade? Do you play over that fade?

Fade out is simple. You hit STOP and instead of stopping brutally right there, the loop slowly fades out in let's say 15 seconds or whatever value you set the fade out time.

Fade out is simple. You hit STOP and instead of stopping brutally right there, the loop slowly fades out in let's say 15 seconds or whatever value you set the fade out time.
I understand what happens, but I can’t think of any practical use. What do you play while it’s fading out vs just stopping the loop?

I understand what happens, but I can’t think of any practical use. What do you play while it’s fading out vs just stopping the loop?
If you were doing ambient soundscape long sustained kind of stuff this would be applicable.

Lou Lab

Maybe do you mean the loop should stop delayed after the time you defined ?
As you said for example define 10s, press STOP, and loop stops after 10s
Or do you really mean fade-out ?

Maybe do you mean the loop should stop delayed after the time you defined ?
As you said for example define 10s, press STOP, and loop stops after 10s
Or do you really mean fade-out ?
I don’t mean that. I’m asking the person who started this thread what he does with fading loops.

sorry, did the wrong quote... i asked
Lou Lab

With a looper that has the decay or fade out function I create a loop that our band uses as a baseline to improvise on, then normally things evolve in different directions... I stop the existing loop while starting another baseline... When the existing loop has faded out completely I create a new loop with the latest baseline. And so on and so forth... Loops provide support but are adapted based the direction of the jam.... The decay/fade out function makes that adaptations much smoother...

Last edited:
From the manual for the looper in the Axe-Fx III / FM3:

Overdub Level – This works like a “Loop Decay” control, attenuating the level of previously recorded material in comparison to overdubs. (Think of it as similar to the “feedback” control on a delay). If you never want old layers to decay, set this to 0 dB, but be aware that layers can add up and potentially cause clipping.

From the manual for the looper in the Axe-Fx III / FM3:

Overdub Level – This works like a “Loop Decay” control, attenuating the level of previously recorded material in comparison to overdubs. (Think of it as similar to the “feedback” control on a delay). If you never want old layers to decay, set this to 0 dB, but be aware that layers can add up and potentially cause clipping.

I know that feature but it's not what a Loop Fade Out is. It's a loop layer decay.

See Fade All at 2:10...

See Fade All at 10:38

In fact I believe that Fractal will eventually come up with many features of these top notch loopers.

Last edited:
Here you go sir :) All you have to do to do exactly what you want is this. assign a Control Switch to your Loopers Play back level(you have to assign your foot switch to be a stand in switch for the control Switch. Then jack up the Release to 10000ms. presto you now have a foot switchable fade sir :) peace and love to all :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 3.36.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 3.36.17 PM.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 8
How about this: a mode in the Delay block that acts like a looper? It would be controlled by the normal delay functions (mix, feedback, etc.) but the time would be controlled by activating/bypassing it. If you set the bypass mode correctly, it would keep going (based on your feedback settings) and activating it again would overdub.

Hmm. This is more or less how the delay block works anyway; I wonder how difficult it would be to implement the "looper" delay that would start and stop recording/overdub based on bypass...

Back
Top Bottom