Looper crashes

mr riös

hi everyone

now we have a song in the project in which I want to use the axe fx looper - we play with click and I synchronize the looper with logic pro by its midi clock - quantization to 1/4 - this works very fine and I can add the loops without getting out of time - in the song I play with a clean sound (with reverb and delay) successively a total of 4 one-bar loops on top of each other, over which again something else is played - so there were running at the end 4 loops at the same time and a 5th voice is played - "dub mix" at 80% - everything should work fine

but: sometimes the looper crashes completely and it comes to a very ugly ugly screeching and unfortunately extremely loud crash noise :-( it starts with a little distortion when i play somthing different after the first loop was started - this increases after the second loop is added - when I now add the third loop, the distortion becomes very loud and then it crashes

what is that? - what to do to avoid that?

I've already tried to turn off hall and delay - it does not seem to lie to that, because the crashes happen too
then I tried to play the loops without the midi clock sync - no difference, it still crashes the same way
then I tried "quieter" sounds and reduce the git volume a little bit - that seems to work a bit better, but even then the axe fx looper crashes
after this I updated the firmware to quantum 9.04 and axe edit to 3.14.5 - no changes
then I tried to lower the eq/boost lead settings - feels a little bit better, but still crashes
at least i set the level in the input-gate section -6db down, because there are still some little distortions in the background of the clean sound, when i play full 6 string chords - now it works better, but I still don't feel realy comfortable with that

in the manual (5.16, german vers) it is mentioned that you should avoid 100% loops because of the fear of overload and clipping - I set "dub mix" to 69%, but i think that a looper has to play the loops so loud, that you can here them...

so what do I have to do or how can I make the looper run more stable?

thanks for every tip

hi again

no help - nothing changes - the looper still crashes when i stack more than two loops :-( after the second loop, the "out1clip" led begins to blink and then comes the distortion noise :-(

you can listen to the song, that i want to play with the looper: agens - wie mag das sein i recorded it with overdubs in logic but i want to play it on stage sometime - there are four stacks and a 5th with different lines comes on top

in the meantime i tried several different positions fot the looper block in the chain - nothing changes
then i contacted the eu66 support - they said that i should disconnect the macbook pro - i did - nothing changes
there is no difference between midi clock control or standalone - the looper crashes after two or three stacks
than should i trie the firmware "quantum10.01" - i did - nothing changes - but now, the looper crashes without any clip led warning and the axe fx didn't restart - with quantum9.04 it comes back after a few seconds - with quantum10.01 i must switch it off and restart :-(
so i must return to quantum9.04

there is only one possibility: reduce the level in the looper block to -6db and increase the master output level of the axe fx every time when the looper is in use - not comfortable

can anyone trie to comprehend this - is my axe fx defect?
can anyone checkout if there is a solution?

i am very sad about this

Last edited:
I’m trying to understand. Is the “crashing” sound basically ugly digital-sounding distortion, or does the looper actually freeze up?

If the looper is after the amp in your chain, then then looping 4 things on top of each other will basically be multiplying the level by 4, which will probably result in clipping. You may need to leave more headroom in the preset. Try backing down the amp block output volume, and turn up your monitoring/outputs to compensate. This will result in lower output (meters) when only playing one part, but will leave enough headroom for you to loop multiple other parts and not clip the outputs.

the crashing sound is a very loud ugly digital distortion noise - sometimes it stops by itself, sometimes i can stop it like stop the looper - in quantum9.04 the axe fx restarts itself after a few seconds - in quantum10.01 the axe fx freezes after the digital distortion sound at all...

the headroom can be created by the mixer in the looper block in the way i described above - the problem is, that i use different presets and there is just one song in our set with the looper in use - and for this song, the level config of monitor and foh has a different setup - thats not really usable - imo this is a bug and had to be a feature in the axe fx like auto level correction when several loops are in stack...

the "eu66" support says, that i am total free to place the looper in the chain - it had to work everywhere just with different effects and sounds...

and the manual says, that "dub mix" is the solution - it isn't :-(

Last edited:
last week i installed the ares2.00 firmware upgrade on my axe fx2 - it works :) and no looper crashes any more :) i tried all affected presets and set the levels up to 0db - no problems - even with the looper "dub mix" level at 90% :) and it sounds really great :)

Glad it got sorted... but also curious why it was happening and how it was solved. Maybe a CPU usage issue?

hm - there is a difference between looping at home in my living room and looping with the band in our band room - and i changed my guitars: during a few weeks i used a "strandberg boden 7" which is a passive - now i got my active strandberg boden prog7 back - and now even ares crashes when playing with the band - maybe i hit the strings harder...?! - and the active guitar has a little more output...?! - it crashes little bit softer and restarts, but it crashes too - anyway, when i lower the level to 6db or the dub mix to 80% it works fine again

but i agree: its spooky

Back
Top Bottom