Looper / Backing Track solutions

Rich G.

Experienced
Lately I've been using the looper in the FX8 for my acoustic shows. It's been working great, but I find myself living within the constraints of what that looper can do. I get the allure of building loops on the spot. It's interesting to the listener to hear the different parts come together like a Bob Ross painting. Sometimes I wish I had multiple loops, or maybe a percussion or bass track. I got to thinking about using a different looper. Maybe the TC Electronic Ditto+ that can store 99 samples... however, the double tap stop is a deal breaker.

So then I got to thinking about switching gears entirely and using backing tracks. Is there a decent app for either an iPad or Android tablet that lets you play samples using a bluetooth footswitch like an Airturn?

For what you’re describing, I’d go with AnyTune. It has a ton of remote control options. It plays backing tracks but still has a lot of things you can control on the fly, like choosing what section of the song comes next.

For what you’re describing, I’d go with AnyTune. It has a ton of remote control options. It plays backing tracks but still has a lot of things you can control on the fly, like choosing what section of the song comes next.
Apple only?

I use Anytune all the time when I'm working on songs. Never explored the remote control options. I'll have to look into it.

I looked into Anytune remote control. It looks very promising.

If I go this route and use something like the AirTurn BT200S to control Anytune, can I use a bluetooth receiver like THIS ONE connected to my mixer at the same time?

I looked into Anytune remote control. It looks very promising.

If I go this route and use something like the AirTurn BT200S to control Anytune, can I use a bluetooth receiver like THIS ONE connected to my mixer at the same time?
Good idea. That way you don't even need an audio cable.

Lately I've been using the looper in the FX8 for my acoustic shows. It's been working great, but I find myself living within the constraints of what that looper can do. I get the allure of building loops on the spot. It's interesting to the listener to hear the different parts come together like a Bob Ross painting. Sometimes I wish I had multiple loops, or maybe a percussion or bass track. I got to thinking about using a different looper. Maybe the TC Electronic Ditto+ that can store 99 samples... however, the double tap stop is a deal breaker.

So then I got to thinking about switching gears entirely and using backing tracks. Is there a decent app for either an iPad or Android tablet that lets you play samples using a bluetooth footswitch like an Airturn?
The Ditto X2 has single tap stop.

Load the tracks on a Boss RC pedal of appropriate size?
One of the various Loop Station pedals may work. They can get rather pricey quickly ($300~$500) for what I'm looking to do... and knowing who I am I'd most likely jump to the most complex on available. :D

Good idea. That way you don't even need an audio cable.
Yes, that would be the main goal. I like to minimize cable clutter when possible. I ordered one of those bluetooth receivers since it was relatively inexpensive. I have many other uses for it if it doesn't work out for this application.

The Ditto X2 has single tap stop.
Yes, but it won't store more than one backing track. That won't work for my application. They need to come out with a Ditto+ X2. Something that will store several samples and have two foot switches.

I gave AnyTune a good try. It has all the functionality I need, but the latency is just too much for a live performance. I measured between 500-800ms between AirTurn footswitch press and start of playback. I exchanged a few messages with AnyTune support. They said they may be able to reduce the latency, but there will always be some that would make it difficult to use live.

I also picked up one of those little bluetooth receivers. That's a very handy little gizmo. I confirmed that both the AirTurn and the Audio Receiver can be used at the same time from the same iPad. The range on the receiver is pretty short. I can't walk to the next room without it starting to break up.

Last edited:
With Ableton live and a massively programmable midi foot switch, you can build a looper with 3 different song sections/loop types, ability to add / remove layered recordings on each section/loop, ability to solo, add effects, etc. Problem is majority of typical audiences don't want to sit through a multi-track recording session - LOL.

Back
Top Bottom