Looks like you sound bad

Rich G.

Experienced
I'm thinking about getting some fake cabs to put on stage after this weekend. During a break at a gig this weekend a guy stops me and we have this conversation:

Him: Hey, sounds great! What amp are you using?
Me: No amp. I run through a processor direct to the board.
Him: (winces) ugh... no amp? why?
Me: So many reasons. It sounds great, it's versatile, Easy to carry...
Him: (shaking head) But it's not pushing air. You gotta push some air. Who makes it? Digitech?
Me: Fractal Audio. It's called the AxeFX.
Him: So it's like Digitech?
Me: It's a whole different class of processor compared to Digitech. A lot of pro players use it- John Petrucci, Alex Lifeson... Hey, sorry I gotta run- we're back on in 2.
Him: (shakes head again)

Just a friendly reminder that 90% of what people hear is with their eyes...

Black-Veil-Brides-fake-cabs.jpg

It's an interesting point. I think that's the only downside to using the Fractal and similar products live, to people who don't know anything about gear they don't look as impressive as having a stack behind you. Even if the Fractal does sound better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a conversation or two similar to that, but mine usually goes like this-

Me: No amp. I use Fractal Audio's Axe FX system.
Me: Because the Axe is the greatest product ever created for guitar, can match any amp out there, is a fraction of the weight and much easy and faster to haul and set-up, and gets me compliments like yours at every gig. Sorry, gotta run, we're back on in 2 and I have to go let this tone monster help make me even more money.

My goal with the Axe is to have LESS and LIGHTER stuff to haul to a gig, so fake cabs for me would ruin that formula. Different strokes for different folks, though, so whatever works for you is wha' 'cha need to do. :)

I'm thinking about getting some fake cabs to put on stage after this weekend. During a break at a gig this weekend a guy stops me and we have this conversation:

Him: (shaking head) But it's not pushing air. You gotta push some air. Who makes it? Digitech?
Me: It's a whole different class of processor compared to Digitech. A lot of pro players use it- John Petrucci, Alex Lifeson... Hey, sorry I gotta run- we're back on in 2.

I would love to have the IR's on these "null" cabs!

I've always wanted an empty like orange head or marshall or something to go with my rig. Lets them come up

Audience member: Man that rig sounds great. That orange rocks man!
me: Actually that's an empty fake box. See that green screen it does everything.

Usually the empty cabs have backs on them, or they did when I was a roadie.

Are those the new Marshall lites? :roll

I'd rather make some crazy steampunk fake amps for show.

That actually sounds like a sick idea.

OP, don't waste time giving a crap what some random dude says. Pushing air? Obviously your were pushing enough air for him to tell you how great it sounded before you burst his little bubble, right? He's Jon Snow. He knows nothing.

Yep. Put a tube amp on stage and hide your Axe and I guarantee that not one single person will be able to tell the difference.

Our interpretation of things is almost always skewed by something. Saw an experiment on TV a few years ago where people were doing a taste test of strawberry yogurts to see which one tasted the most like fresh strawberries. Both samples were in containers that had pictures of strawberries and both were colored pink. The catch is that one was actually chocolate flavored and the other was vanilla flavored. Not one single tester caught on and many were saying how fresh one or the other tasted. Blew peoples minds when they found out after the fact.

I don't care what I have onstage anymore. On gigs and festivals, I am happy with just the Axe on whatever flightcases they have. more often than not, the stage manager will appear with a couple of Marshall 1960 cabs to pop the axe on.

I have always, and now that I received a random check from the state I might do it....Ive always wanted to hide my rack, and get one of those battery operated Marshall Mini stacks..on the floor next to the drummer, and 'mic' it like a real cab. With the rack out of sight, it would be the only source of my sounds.

Maybe take a salvaged car door w/ speaker and an old black n white TV set for backLine! People are gonna freak at the quality tones you get out of those 'cabs'.

So far I've had just about every sound guy go " rad! I've heard of these things! They're amazing!!" When other guitarists on the bill that have huge Bogner or Mesa setups I just point at my rig and grunt. I don't wanna hear their dubious opinions as to why tubes simply cannot be matched. I simply don't have the interest in that convo anymore... After I walk of stage they'll have their answer anyway.. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would actually use all those cabs loaded with k-100's and the axe-ii with a vht 2100 power amp, make those people bleed.

Back
Top Bottom