Looking to upgrade to an AX-8 (or Helix) and build a rig around it. Where to start?

ZeGuitarist

Long post, tl;dr at the bottom!

Hey forum! I've picked up my guitar playing again after a couple years' hiatus, and I'm looking to bring my rig up to date as well as my playing. My rig is outdated and incomplete, and in dire need of some reinforcements... But I don't really know where to start, which is why I need your help!

WHAT I NEED
I'm a recreational guitarist. I mostly play solo at home, playing both cover songs (preferably over a backing track) and writing and recording my own music. That said, even if I'm just a hobbyist, I'm quite serious about my playing - I want to get better as a player, I want to really get to "know" the guitar as an instrument, and I'm willing to put in some work to get there.

Similarly, I also really care about my sound. As I said, I play a lot of cover songs, varying in style between pop/rock, folk, singer-songwriter, blues, hard rock, modern rock, indie rock and a bit of metal. I need my rig to cope well with all these styles - and I also need the ability to produce my own sounds, should I need any in my originals. Apart from that, my rig needs to work in a variety of settings: band rehearsals and (small) stages, low bedroom volumes, and with headphones/studio monitors. Lastly, as I do quite a bit of home recording, I need to be able to do that hassle-free.

This is why I narrowed my rig quest down to the modelling and FRFR speaker route. I know it's a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of deal with modellers, but in my situation that seems kind of perfect. A good modeller with a good speaker will do all of the things I just summed up - and then some. The problem is, though, it does need to be good gear - and this is where I need your help, because what I own now really isn't.

MY CURRENT RIG
The main issue with my current rig is partly that it's outdated, but mostly that it's incomplete. Here's what I currently own:
  • A Fender Telecaster Thinline '72 MIM RI (such a beautiful piece of art!)

• A Seagull S6 Original (great guitar!) - into which I had a K&K Pure Mini soundboard transducer pickup installed (that thing is awesome!).

• A Boss GT-8 - or, as the guitar tech in my local dealership described it, "the Commodore 64 of modellers".

• An M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface and a SE Electronics X1 mic for my home recordings...

• ... and no amp or speakers. I currently only own a pair of pretty good Sennheiser HD-something headphones (not sure which model number, I got them about 8 years ago and they're out of Sennheiser's range now).
You see the problem here: I want to build a good modelling/FRFR rig, but I'm stuck with a pretty old and pretty outdated modeller with the GT-8, and no amp/speaker at all.

MY WISHLIST
So, a good modeller and a good amp/speaker what I'm currently in the market for. Problem is, there are so many options that I don't know what to pick, or where to start (what to upgrade first)... So far, after some research, I've narrowed my wishlist down to the following options:

MODELLER OPTIONS:

It's between the Line6 Helix and the Fractal AX-8 here - and the choice is tough!

From what I gather, the Line6 Helix has the nicer hardware and is easier to use, which is a major plus for me. I feel the best way to keep myself motivated to play, is to make sure that I can just pick up my guitar at any time and start playing, without too much hassle - which would otherwise easily become a hurdle! The Helix' ease of use would fit that role just perfectly. Not to forget, it produces some great tones...

... but on the other hand, not as great as the Fractal AX-8, which is still the gold standard in modelling! The AX-8 is quite a bit more expensive (especially with the optional but obligatory expression pedal), and quite a lot harder to come by in Europe (there's just one distributor for the whole of Europe). It seems, however, that it's worth the extra money - it's better sounding to begin with, and from the sounds of it, Fractal supports their products like no other, which means the AX-8 would be the most future-proof investment.

So, out of these two options, which do you think would suit my situation best?

Note that I don't care much for rack gear in my rig, I'd like to keep things as nice and simple as possible. The Kemper is basically out as well, as it doesn't exactly suit my needs as well as the Line6 and Fractal options do.

SPEAKER OPTIONS:

This one's tough as well. To be able to fully appreciate the sheer power of the Helix or AX-8, I need a good amp or speaker that can reproduce their respective tones accurately. I've pretty much decided I want a mid-to-high-tier powered FRFR speaker for that (unless you all drastically change my mind!) - and these are my options:

• An Atomic CLR FRFR monitor, pretty much considered to be the gold standard in FRFR amplification for guitar modellers. Problem is, however, that these things are pretty hard to come by in Europe, and they come at a price as well - the Neo version, with VAT/shipping included, is about 1600 euros or something... and that's just too steep.

• A similar option is the Dynacord AXM 12A active speaker, which has been mentioned on several modelling forums as "the European alternative for the Atomic CLR" because of its similar design and specs, but better price and availability. For a bit short of 1000€, you get a 12" speaker with Neo magnets as standard, 3 inputs (one of which is an AUX input, perfect for my backing tracks!), and a true full-range and flat response sound which comes close to the Atomic CLR. I'm quite set on this speaker, but it's still quite an investment at 1000€...

• There are other, cheaper FRFR speakers out there as well, some of which are cheaper and might fit the bill just as well: the Yamaha DXR12, the QSC K12, and the Alto SXM112A or TS112A are a few options that spring to mind. All of these are cheaper (especially the Alto ones), but I lose out on sound quality and/or features with all of them. Anyone have any experience with any of these?

• Other than the FRFR options, there's also the slightly more "cab-like" (or "GRFR") options like the Matrix Q12 or Camper 112CX... These will basically limit the tonal possibilities of the Helix/AX-8, as they sound more like traditional guitar cabs themselves and thus eliminate the possibility of using cab/IR modelling... So these options are a bit less attractive to me - unless you can convince me otherwise!

• Lastly, there's still the option of getting a "regular" tube amp that works well with the Helix or AX-8. But I'm thinking that, after making a pretty huge investment in a full-featured modeller, it would be a shame to then limit its functionality to effects only, because I'm running it through a tube amp... I'm thinking no on this one.
WHICH ORDER?
This is my biggest conundrum right now. If I had unlimited cash, I'd just buy a AX-8 and Dynacord AXM 12A right now, and be done with it. But you see, this is the real world, and I don't - so I'm going to have to build my rig one step at a time, and I can't make my mind up on how to proceed!

If I go modeller first, FRFR speaker later, I immediately get to enjoy the superior tones from a brand-new modeller instead of my GT-8's old twaddle... but only through my headphones. I currently exclusively play on my own, but as I'm considering taking lessons soon and can't exclude the possibility that I might re-join a band in the (near) future, not having a speaker would not be ideal.

I can also go FRFR speaker first, modeller later, which would give me the opportunity to enjoy hearing my current rig played out loud rather than through headphones only. If I got the Dynacord, I could also plug in my phone and play backing tracks into the AUX input, which would be a major plus. A downside to this approach, however, is that I'd be stuck for some time with the best tones the GT-8 can produce - which aren't that great.

Another option is to get a cheaper speaker now (such as the Yamaha or Alto), get the new modeller next, and upgrade my speaker last. This would be the quickest way to get a fully functional rig, with the downside that I'd keep GAS'ing for a "good" speaker until I invest in one for a second time - which is kind of a waste.

TL;DR:
I want to build a quality modelling/FRFR rig for home playing, solo recording, and possibly gigging at small venues with a band. I currently own a Boss GT-8 and no amp/speaker. Looking to upgrade, but I have some questions:
  1. I need a good modeller. Line6 Helix or Fractal AX-8?

2. I also need a good speaker for the modeller. FRFR (Atomic, Dynacord), GRFR (Matrix, Camper) or tube amp?

3. What order to upgrade my rig in? Buy speaker now, and new modeller later? Upgrade GT-8 first, then get speaker later? Or should I get a "cheap" speaker temporarily?
Thanks in advance for brainstorming with me on this one!

Sounds like you need something to play through right now. Maybe pick up a Fender Mustang combo and sell it when you have the money for the full AX8 + CLR/Matrix/Xitone rig?

Ax8 + CLR would be my choice. I would go the Ax8 first as this will make the biggest difference. You say you mostly play at home, so the FRFR is not urgent or even necessary. Hell, you can probably just go for studio monitors that way you can record and mix easily, but cans are fine too.

Modeler first- if you're not in a band and play mostly at home you can hold off on the speaker and just work via headphones.

My pick would be the AX8, so if you go that route the first thing to do is get on the waitlist immediately. If you don't want to wait, grabbing a Helix (much easier to procure at the moment) wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I want to build a quality modelling/FRFR rig for home playing, solo recording, and possibly gigging at small venues with a band. I currently own a Boss GT-8 and no amp/speaker. Looking to upgrade, but I have some questions:
  1. I need a good modeller. Line6 Helix or Fractal AX-8?
  1. Well .... this is the FAS forum so I think the overwhelming suggestion would be the AX8 ..... but it's up to you at the end of the day .... so maybe you should play the 'buy, try and return' game to get a week or 2 quality experience with whatever products interest you .... it's the only way to try things with FAS products unless you know someone local who can demo theirs to you.
    2. I also need a good speaker for the modeller. FRFR (Atomic, Dynacord), GRFR (Matrix, Camper) or tube amp?
    Now we're heading for the rabbit hole ........ but let's just say the AX8 is a complete modelling device so FRFR should be probably the first consideration.

In your situation (mostly home playing/recording) I'd suggest you have some half decentish Studio Monitors at least for stereo capable quieter volume work and get some guitar/speaker interaction going. If you get a full on 12 inch FRFR monitor capable of stage volume then you should ensure you dial in presets at that volume for optimal use ...... you can also dial in 'low volume' presets if you want ..... but be aware they will not translate well to high volume use ... and you'll likely need 2 FRFR cabs if you want to use stereo.

I'd probably put the full size FRFR cab(s) on the back burner for now if I was you and use some desk sized monitors .... it might hold you back for a while when wanting to play live (unless you use direct to PA and a venue supplied stage monitor) but you'll be getting to know the device and getting back into playing for a while ..... so maybe you'll be able to afford the next big step after that
  1. What order to upgrade my rig in? Buy speaker now, and new modeller later? Upgrade GT-8 first, then get speaker later? Or should I get a "cheap" speaker temporarily?

1. Modeller first ....... it's the heart of the system and either of the devices you're considering should trash the GT-8 ..... well the AX8 using the FAS engine certainly will ...... I haven't heard a Helix with my own ears as yet.
It's maybe worth noting that the AX8 is not an audio interface - it can digitally communicate with the editing software and a DAW but has no sound card driver - (it also has no dedicated headphone output) so you might have to think about an interface or other ways to monitor it along with backing tracks etc. You can use your computer's audio and headphone socket .... or for general plonking without backing tracks you can use a Y cable from the AX8 outs to headphones, or use a little 4 or 6 channel analogue mixer etc.

I bought the Line 6 Firehawk, which I know is way different than the Helix but it appears to me that the footswitch placement is similar. I kept hitting the bottom row of switches when I meant to tap the top row. The top row isn't elevated like on the AX8.

I sent the Firehawk back and splurged on the AX8. No more hitting the wrong switch and I haven't looked back since.

Had the Helix and now an AX8 and the Helix is gone if that says anything.

I've had a Yamaha DXR10 but didn't like the sound I was getting with it and the Helix. Sold the dxr10 before AX8 arrived. However I've heard Fractal through the DXR and it sounds great.

Later I'll add either a Strymon Bigsky or H9 Max to offset any potential CPU issues with complex presets, but honestly I'm not sure if I'll even really need to do that anytime soon.

For amplification one thing I would consider mainly because I would like to try this and that's a Fryette Power Station 2 matched to a 1x12 cabinet. Now that's not a FRFR solution but it's an alternative.

since you play at home and will likely be using the editor most of the time i think ease of use on the unit is a non-factor.

Have they came out with an editor for the Helix yet? last I had heard from a friend that bought one there was not. He came to see My AX-8 that I recently received and took his helix back to guitar center! he is on the FX-8 list now and told me he will get on the AX-8 list when he gets an invite for the FX-8.

Yes the Helix has an editor. It's a downloadable beta version which is on their website. Just have to check the "beta" box on the software download search page.

Thanks for the replies, everybody!
AX8 and a Atomic CLR or two.
Ax8 + CLR would be my choice.
In an ideal world, where money and availability weren't an issue, I'd agree with you. But CLRs are quite expensive in the EU, and also pretty hard to come by - which is why I'm looking for alternative suggestions.

The Dynacord AXM 112A seems like it's a great alternative, but I've never heard it in person. Maybe one of you has? (Sorry, I'd link you to it, but I'm not allowed to post links as a new user.)

You say you mostly play at home, so the FRFR is not urgent or even necessary. Hell, you can probably just go for studio monitors that way you can record and mix easily, but cans are fine too.
In your situation (mostly home playing/recording) I'd suggest you have some half decentish Studio Monitors at least for stereo capable quieter volume work and get some guitar/speaker interaction going.
I think I might just go down that route. I read that the Yamaha HS7 studio monitors are great for this - very neutral response, very wide range, and awesome value for money (400 euros for a pair).

since you play at home and will likely be using the editor most of the time i think ease of use on the unit is a non-factor.
Just an opinion here: in my experience, the Helix is no easier to use once you add AX8 Edit to the mix.
Actually, I gather the Helix now has a PC editor as well. Also, I'm talking ease of use in band rehearsals and/or live situations as well, which is where I think the Helix will have the edge. Which wouldn't be relevant if the tones of the AX-8 were far superior to the Helix, but I'm not sure they are. What do you think?

Having owned both the Helix and now the AX8 I would have to say that in a scenario where you would need to quickly edit the unit with the onboard UI the Helix is noticeably easier for the novice user. Having said that though there are at least a couple things to keep in mind. Just because the AX8 is seemingly not as intuitive it doesn't mean it is unlearnable. In my opinion the tones are worth the effort of knuckling down and just patiently working with the AX8 UI. Alternatively I have seen others go out and find an inexpensive Microsoft Windows based tablet and use it to launch AX Edit to ease the discomfort of learning the AX8 UI. They are usually easy to find in the sub $100 price range and it will easily hook up to the AX8 via USB. I may even give this a go if need be. Of course since you said in your original post you're mostly a studio type player needing to edit on the unit should be almost a non-issue. But the tablet can be utilized for all kinds of other stuff which may be of use to even the occassionally gigging musician.

I have heard nothing but good things about Yamaha studio monitors. I'm using a pair of Tannoy Reveal's that I scored at a local music store while they were on sale and they work great too. If you have a relatively decent budget then you should be able to get a set of monitors you could be very happy with.

Now regarding the very last question from the previous post. "Superior tones", no objective answer can be offered. However, for me they were better enough to let the Helix go and stick with the AX8 no matter what I had to learn in order to maximize its use or what I would have to add to it to work around any of it's perceived limitations (i.e. expression pedals, external effects, tablet, etc.)

If tone is the most important aspect of any device then trying to make any apples to apples comparisons between what the different units have or don't have onboard becomes almost moot.

Had the Helix and now an AX8 and the Helix is gone if that says anything.

I've had a Yamaha DXR10 but didn't like the sound I was getting with it and the Helix. Sold the dxr10 before AX8 arrived. However I've heard Fractal through the DXR and it sounds great.

Later I'll add either a Strymon Bigsky or H9 Max to offset any potential CPU issues with complex presets, but honestly I'm not sure if I'll even really need to do that anytime soon.

For amplification one thing I would consider mainly because I would like to try this and that's a Fryette Power Station 2 matched to a 1x12 cabinet. Now that's not a FRFR solution but it's an alternative.

Did you feel you could do more complex presets with the Helix than the AX8? I am running into this problem when creating ambient "wash type" presets that have a lot of Delay and Reverb in them. I am just running out of CPU with the AX8 frequently with these types of sounds. I'd hate to have to add another $1000 in pedals (or even $500) to supplement the AX8 to get it to do these sounds.

AX8 into a Friedman ASM-12.

Its easy to develop ADD when you first get a modeler. You could find yourself messing with presets more than actually playing. Factor that into your decision.

Did you feel you could do more complex presets with the Helix than the AX8? I am running into this problem when creating ambient "wash type" presets that have a lot of Delay and Reverb in them. I am just running out of CPU with the AX8 frequently with these types of sounds. I'd hate to have to add another $1000 in pedals (or even $500) to supplement the AX8 to get it to do these sounds.

There is a preset on the AX8 that can pretty much cover the most complex ambient sound I should need. It's the Blackhole preset bank 16 preset 6.

However, with that being said I found a pretty good deal on a used H9 Max that I'm confident will fill the gap fine if and when I do run into CPU problems. I plan on using the H9 to handle most if not all reverb duties for the most part. But the H9 can also has those "wild" sounds in spades.

When I had the Helix I personally couldn't get an ambient sound I was really really happy with even with the ability to create a more complex patch. I don't know why really, it could possibly be due to not connecting with the effects on the Helix.

I am much more pleased with the effects quality in the AX8 even with it's processing limitations.

I feel you though, I would rather not add anything to the AX8 (I love the smaller footprint) and the simplicity of it. In the end I may not need to add the H9 in most cases, it will just be there when I have to have it. I do like that I can decide what I need or don't need in any given situation and scale the board accordingly.

I hope that helps you some.

Having owned both the Helix and now the AX8 I would have to say that in a scenario where you would need to quickly edit the unit with the onboard UI the Helix is noticeably easier for the novice user. Having said that though there are at least a couple things to keep in mind. Just because the AX8 is seemingly not as intuitive it doesn't mean it is unlearnable. In my opinion the tones are worth the effort of knuckling down and just patiently working with the AX8 UI.
Understood, thanks! Luckily, having owned a Boss GT-8 for about 8 years, which I've explored to the absolute limit of its usefulness, I'm not a complete novice when it comes to managing the seeming complexity of the modelled digital signal chain. Hence, the added "difficulty" of using the AX-8 doesn't put me off of the device, not in the slightest - but that's not to say there might not be more elegant UI solutions, and at least in that regard, the Helix does seem more attractive.

Alternatively I have seen others go out and find an inexpensive Microsoft Windows based tablet and use it to launch AX Edit to ease the discomfort of learning the AX8 UI. They are usually easy to find in the sub $100 price range and it will easily hook up to the AX8 via USB.
To be frank, I don't consider this a good route to go down. Having to invest in extra gear just to make my modeller more intuitive to use is actually counterproductive in my eyes, as this takes away from the simplicity of "one unit to rule them all" idea. The AX-8 is already more expensive than the Helix (in Europe, at least, quite significantly so), and that's not even including an expression pedal. If I'll have to go and get another piece of kit to assemble my gear, the price of the Fractal vs. the Helix will not even be in the same ballpark anymore, which makes the comparison moot.

Of course since you said in your original post you're mostly a studio type player needing to edit on the unit should be almost a non-issue.
Sure, but I don't know what the future holds. I used to rehearse and do gigs quite frequently, and might pick that up in the (near) future. As such, I want my rig to be ready for that.

I have heard nothing but good things about Yamaha studio monitors. I'm using a pair of Tannoy Reveal's that I scored at a local music store while they were on sale and they work great too. If you have a relatively decent budget then you should be able to get a set of monitors you could be very happy with.
As I said, 400€ buys me a pair of HS7's, which get rave reviews indeed. I'll probably be quite happy with those!

Now regarding the very last question from the previous post. "Superior tones", no objective answer can be offered. However, for me they were better enough to let the Helix go and stick with the AX8 no matter what I had to learn in order to maximize its use or what I would have to add to it to work around any of it's perceived limitations (i.e. expression pedals, external effects, tablet, etc.)

If tone is the most important aspect of any device then trying to make any apples to apples comparisons between what the different units have or don't have onboard becomes almost moot.
I get that. I'm just trying to weigh all the pros and cons, tone-wise and other, between both devices.

AX8 into a Friedman ASM-12.

Its easy to develop ADD when you first get a modeler. You could find yourself messing with presets more than actually playing. Factor that into your decision.
Having owned a Boss GT-8, I spent countless hours menu-diving rather than playing. Been there, done that, I'm afraid :)

If you really care about your sound then I would recommend Fractal. Of course this is my subjective take based on having had a Helix and now owning an Axe-Fx. There's more depth, dynamics, feel, and nuance, along with better note definition, natural harmonic content, and just in general more expansive sound with Fractal.

The Helix has a cool interface, but with me it's like a who cares. I actually prefer the structure of Axe-edit, and after just a little effort can get around on the Axe fine.

As with anything the best way to figure these things out is to try the gear out yourself in person so you can reach your own conclusions because as I'm sure as you've seen on-line people experience these things differently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom