Looking to purchase the best Dual/Triple Rectifier Model preset packs

John Michael

I'm not very good at creating custom presets just yet and I'm a fairly new converter to the modeling world. I've been a faithful Dual/Triple Rectifier user for almost 2 decades but I can't deny the fact that lugging all the gear across the country to gigs is just not practical anymore. Can someone recommend a good preset pack that will get me started? Hopefully one that has equally good Cab IR's.

There are a number of respected options here on the Fractal Forum. First, the factory presets are very good. If you take a look at them you will see many techniques that you can use in your own presets. A lot of effort has been put into them. Many Fractal adoptees find a lot of information and value just in the box. Which is great, because they're free.

However, there are also a number of aftermarket products that are well regarded. Here are some to look up on the Forum and/or Youtube and the Interwebs:

@2112 - Leon Todd (his Fractal Forum handle is 2112) has a lot of free videos, as well as heavier presets with Mesa Boogie patches. Leon Todd is a bit of a Legend on the internet as well as on this forum with great videos that include examples and instruction. It's well worth looking up Leon's content.

@Cooper Carter - Cooper Carter has produced a master class video that explains in detail how to get the most out of all Fractal platforms. You pay to access Cooper's videos. You can find free videos that cover much of the same ground, but Cooper Carter's master class is really useful if you want systematic training on how to use your Fractal product. It is helpful to know that Cooper is affiliated with Fractal and has worked with many high profile artists (Neil Schon is one that comes to mind, but there are others) helping them design presets for their live rigs.

@austinbuddy - Austin Buddy is another person who has presets for sale.

@simeon - Simeon has contributed a lot of individual block examples that are very well regarded on the forum.

You can also look up Fractal Audio "Gifts of Tone". This is a series of presets that Fractal has released over the last two Christmases from well know Fractal Audio customers. They are a free Christmas gift from Fractal.

@York Audio - York Audio is a professional touring guitarist and Fractal Forum member who has produced a number of well liked IR packs.

There are other members who have produced a lot of content. Some folks to look up -

@Moke - builds great presets; shares many of them in Axe Exchange

@fremen - long time forum member who shares some free presets, as well as some paid presets

@yek - Yek has produced some excellent PDF files with in depth information on amps and fuzz/overdrive/distortion pedals. These PDF files are professional quality that Yek has shared for for free. The PDF files are extremely well done, though they are currently missing some recent additions that were released in the latest firmware updates.

There are other folks who sell presets that are not coming to mind. If you're new to Fractal, and modeling in general, you can't go wrong with looking up Leon Todd's videos on YouTube or with signing up for Cooper Carter's Master Class. If you want something systematic, comprehensive, and well produced, you can't go wrong with Cooper's material. Of course, the necessary interwebs disclaimer applies, IMHO and YMMV. Perhaps others can add more regarding folks that I haven't included in this post.

There are a number of respected options here on the Fractal Forum. First, the factory presets are very good. If you take a look at them you will see many techniques that you can use in your own presets. A lot of effort has been put into them. Many Fractal adoptees find a lot of information and value just in the box. Which is great, because they're free.

However, there are also a number of aftermarket products that are well regarded. Here are some to look up on the Forum and/or Youtube and the Interwebs:

@2112 - Leon Todd (his Fractal Forum handle is 2112) has a lot of free videos, as well as heavier presets with Mesa Boogie patches. Leon Todd is a bit of a Legend on the internet as well as on this forum with great videos that include examples and instruction. It's well worth looking up Leon's content.

@Cooper Carter - Cooper Carter has produced a master class video that explains in detail how to get the most out of all Fractal platforms. You pay to access Cooper's videos. You can find free videos that cover much of the same ground, but Cooper Carter's master class is really useful if you want systematic training on how to use your Fractal product. It is helpful to know that Cooper is affiliated with Fractal and has worked with many high profile artists (Neil Schon is one that comes to mind, but there are others) helping them design presets for their live rigs.

@simeon - Simeon has contributed a lot of individual block examples that are very well regarded on the forum.

You can also look up Fractal Audio "Gifts of Tone". This is a series of presets that Fractal has released over the last two Christmases from well know Fractal Audio customers. They are a free Christmas gift from Fractal.

@York Audio - York Audio is a professional touring guitarist and Fractal Forum member who has produced a number of well liked IR packs.

There are other members who have produced a lot of content. Some folks to look up -

@fremen - long time forum member who shares some free presets, as well as some paid presets

@yek - Yek has produced some excellent PDF files with in depth information on amps and fuzz/overdrive/distortion pedals. These PDF files are professional quality that Yek has shared for for free. The PDF files are extremely well done, though they are currently missing some recent additions that were released in the latest firmware updates.

There are other folks who sell presets that are not coming to mind. If you're new to Fractal, and modeling in general, you can't go wrong with looking up Leon Todd's videos on YouTube or with signing up for Cooper Carter's Master Class. If you want something systematic, comprehensive, and well produced, you can't go wrong with Cooper's material. Of course, the necessary interwebs disclaimer applies, IMHO and YMMV. Perhaps others can add more regarding folks that I haven't included in this post.
Wow. Thank you very much for the in-depth summary. Very helpful.

I put a sample Recto preset in the 2022 year Gift of Tone with 8 scenes you can download for free off Fractal website Gift of Tone

What style are you looking for? I got something from Silent Underground Studios a while back, they seem to focus on modern metal. You'll want to get something that matches your use case.

After buying a variety of presets form multiple 3rd parties, I find I don't use them. There is not a universal "This is a good tone and gain." Might be a more straightforward approach to start with a simple amp + Cab and then give a desired direction. "I use this, but it's too dark and also fizzy."

Buy them if you want but for me I’m in the same boat as @elvis. I bought a well regarded pack and don’t use any of them. That said, I learned some tricks and techniques. And I was able to tweak them into something I liked. Which means they were no longer the presets I bought. 9 times out of 10 I download a preset it won’t sound good to me out of the box. Guitar tone is a very personal thing and making your own is the way to go imho.

I find it pretty quick to just audition stuff.

Pick amp type, leave controls at noon.
Pick cab type.
Play through. Swap cabs/mics until you get quite close to what you want. This is a MAJOR factor in tone. Cab IRs included cover a HUGE bit of ground, from mud to ice-pick, from warm to buzzy to fizzy.
Adjust gain and tone of amp.

I find it pretty quick to just audition stuff.

Pick amp type, leave controls at noon.
Pick cab type.
Play through. Swap cabs/mics until you get quite close to what you want. This is a MAJOR factor in tone. Cab IRs included cover a HUGE bit of ground, from mud to ice-pick, from warm to buzzy to fizzy.
Adjust gain and tone of amp.

I recall awhile back someone said the IR was like 70% of the tone IIRC. In any case it is a big piece of the puzzle and with the wrong IR your presets won’t sound good to you no matter what amp. Maybe the IR is worth 70%. Greater than 50% from my experience.

I'm more experienced reading the forum than using the current gen ATM, but from that standpoint I would recommend getting one or more York Audio IR packs (or ask what he recommends). I know there is an oversized cab that seems very loved, for example.

I would guess just pulling up the default amps through one of those cabs should get you happy fast (unless you are making errors).

You could read, search, or ask here...
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/york-audio-master-thread-newest-cab-pack-kw-412-m25-sh.156603

Not saying FAS cabs are crap -- I'm easy to please -- but reading YA threads give me the impression they are very much worth checking out and you are supporting one of the best guys around.

As a former Helix user, I used to buy preset packs - often with Custom IR's from hard-to-find amps in the Helix world. One of my favourites was from a Marshall JMP1 which gave me the Slash / Gary Moore / 80's rock tones I couldn't find in the Helix.

Switching to the FM9 last year - and investing in @Cooper Carter's FM9 Masterclass - I have not had to purchase a single preset for the new box. I even tried to move some of my IR's to the FM9 to see how the Marshall and High Gain amps in the AxeFX world compared to my Gold Standard tones from the last few years. The IR's have been consigned to the graveyard. I even picked up a Mezzabarba amp model to try and capture some of those heavy blues licks from Eric Steckel: On the Helix it was okay, but after seeing a video from John Nathan Cordy (does anyone know his fractal tag?) where he recreates Eric's tone using the SLO Amp Model in the AxeFX and a simple Greenback Cab dialled in using Eric's video's and Instagram stories another IR is languishing in the external hard drive graveyard.

@John Michael, I can't recommend enough Cooper's and @lscottk's comments about trying the factory presets first, and the Gift of Tone offerings from the famous Fractal community. Save your pennies until you know there isn't something for you hiding in your FM9.

I made a Linkin Park preset on my YouTube channel if you want to check it, the video preset is for free if you want to copy the settings ;)

I'm not very good at creating custom presets just yet and I'm a fairly new converter to the modeling world. I've been a faithful Dual/Triple Rectifier user for almost 2 decades but I can't deny the fact that lugging all the gear across the country to gigs is just not practical anymore. Can someone recommend a good preset pack that will get me started? Hopefully one that has equally good Cab IR's.
Major Dual/Triple Rec fan here with a Rev F, Tremoverb, and Multi-Watt Triple Rec. The models are shockingly close when I compare them to my real amps, so it shouldn't be hard to get them where you want since you're already familiar with those amps.

These are my two favorite cabs with Dual/Triple Recs:

York Audio MES 412 OS-V2. THE staple Recto cab with those amps. I'd start with Mix 01 or Mix 04 and dial in your amp.

https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/mes-412-os-v2

York Audio MES 212 V30. More focused and sounds surprisingly massive for a 2x12.

https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/mes-212-v30

You can hear clips on the www.yorkaudio.co homepage for all of the cabs using an Axe-Fx III.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom