Looking to get into a 7 string

TheGoatLord

Experienced
Hey guys, I'm looking to get into a decent 7 string. I've played for quite some time now and as my signature shows, have a Suhr along with a few others, but I want to get a decent seven string that won't destroy my budget. I'm not really too concerned with the electronics as I plan on putting some blackhawks in there but I really have no idea what I'm looking for with these. I'm looking in the 1000-1500 range used or new and any ideas/advice/comments are more than welcome!

I hear the Carvin's are really nice for the money. I have an old solidbody Soloway that I am totally in love with, I think the longer (27") scale makes the low B much more manageable. I used to have an Ibanez 2027 but I never bonded with a floyd-style bridge. You might look for an old RG 1527 though, decent fixed bridge guitar. Choices with anything other than humbuckers seem pretty limited, sadly.

I hear the Carvin's are really nice for the money. I have an old solidbody Soloway that I am totally in love with, I think the longer (27") scale makes the low B much more manageable. I used to have an Ibanez 2027 but I never bonded with a floyd-style bridge. You might look for an old RG 1527 though, decent fixed bridge guitar. Choices with anything other than humbuckers seem pretty limited, sadly.

That would be the RG15271 for the hardtail version. The RG1527 is very much Floyded, like it's predecessor the RG7620 (the fixed bridge of that being the RG7621).

TheGoatLord, you'll probably need to give us some more info. Locking bridge style thing, scale length, 22/24 frets, etc.?

The Ibanez suggestions from adamqlw, going with an old RG1527/RG7620 or RG15271/RG7621, are pretty decent and fairly inexpensive places to start. Certainly well within your $1500 limit. But the necks are on the thinner side of 7-string necks (not like say, the original Wizard or anything though). So yeah... kinda depends on what you're after.

i just got a used j custom 7 ! :) but i think any of the prestige line will do second hand. im still getting used to it as well!

they just brought in an rg8 the other day at the shop i work at, and i love the feel of it as well.

That would be the RG15271 for the hardtail version. The RG1527 is very much Floyded, like it's predecessor the RG7620 (the fixed bridge of that being the RG7621).

TheGoatLord, you'll probably need to give us some more info. Locking bridge style thing, scale length, 22/24 frets, etc.?

The Ibanez suggestions from adamqlw, going with an old RG1527/RG7620 or RG15271/RG7621, are pretty decent and fairly inexpensive places to start. Certainly well within your $1500 limit. But the necks are on the thinner side of 7-string necks (not like say, the original Wizard or anything though). So yeah... kinda depends on what you're after.

I'm not too picky on any of this. I'd probably like a non trem and 24 frets but I'm more concerned with build quality and playability. Looks like ibanez or carvin might be the way too go. I wish used mayones guitars were a bit cheaper lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Carvin 7 i picked up used for $400 with Dimarzio D-Activators in it. I hated that guitar. The fret ends were all sharp like the fretboard had shrunk and the sound was just terrible. I had if for about a year, playing it a few times/wk and eventually sold it for $400. Maybe it was just that one, but I find myself wanting a good 7-string and am extremely leary about Carvin now. A friend of mine has a JP7 and that thing made the Carvin seem like a toy.

I would definitely advise the Ibanez UV777 : http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/70098-ngd-2000-ibanez-uv777pbk.html
Great guitar with stock pickups, with BlackHawks it must be insane !

Had one of those ^....sold it long ago. Got the RC7 from Dean late last year. yum yums....The smell of sweet Mahogany.

RC7web.jpg

Do not buy a 7-string guitar until you have tried Music Man JPX 7. I have tried a bunch of Ibanez 7 string guitars, but Music Man JPX is something else. The only 7 string guitar that felt like playing 6 string to me! ;)

You can get a used one for about $1800.

um...JPX 7 is a higher end model! I didn't really like JP7.

Some main differences are:
Chambered body
Jumbo stainless steel frets
Ebony fretbooard
Painted neck

Back
Top Bottom