looking for this overdriven tone...

Old thread, I know. Thanks to the thread, though, I bought "Ghosts" by Big Wreck, and just got back from a trip where I played the whole album straight through twice on the airplane. Holy crap...these guys can play! And Thornley throws really interesting and musical solos, and his voice can sound smooth one moment then a measure later he's screaming a high C in a way that would hurt my voice.

Respect! Serious talent!

The 2015 Suhr videos featuring Big Wreck? One of the few times I think I've preferred the guitar tone of the live versus studio. Just great, thick, unique tones from the guitars that manage to not step all over each other or the vocals.

Left and right hand ... very EJ ... stunning guitar and I'm sure it's a good amp, but that tone is 90% him.

i just don't get a huge EJ vibe from him. it seems like every time someone plays fast pentatonic runs people scream EJ. I think his phrasing a note choices are very unique. He's said that EJ is an influence but don't think his playing screams it. Just me. Of course I'm not an EJ fan so I'm not looking for it, so maybe that's why.

i just don't get a huge EJ vibe from him. it seems like every time someone plays fast pentatonic runs people scream EJ. I think his phrasing a note choices are very unique. He's said that EJ is an influence but don't think his playing screams it. Just me. Of course I'm not an EJ fan so I'm not looking for it, so maybe that's why.
I'm not sure how you can watch the Suhr video and NOT hear EJ?

Both the clean and lead playing are heavily EJ flavored from the Koto bends to the open voiced wide interval arpeggios to the effects.

The phrasing and note choices are highly evocative of Eric's playing...

I am a big fan, and it's very obvious to me.

I've seen Ian live 4 times and to see and hear him is amazing. I think the best way to see him play online would be the Suhr party videos.
If I had to listen to one persons music for the rest of my life it would be his.

Hmmm. This is very similar to the eric johnson tone. U may want to start with some EJ patches and tweak them to taste. I bet you can get really close to this.

Back
Top Bottom