Looking for that Robben Ford Tone

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
Hi Guys, there are two RB tones that I'm working on right now with the Axe II and are a bit elusive. Has anyone gotten the nice clean chime of Robben's "Life Song" and , for that matter, the solo Tone he gets in that same tune?
Thanks.
P

I would like to bump this. Just the general Robben Ford "Dumble" tone that he uses for soloing on most of his songs. I actually played a Fuchs Overdrive Special this weekend which is Dumble Overdrive Special (ODS-100) clone amp. The Fuchs overdrive sounded spot on to Robben Ford solo tone without much effort, but I am struggling in figuring out how to dial in the ODS-100 Lead model. I am sure it is my lack of knowing how to dial that amp in. I can get some overdrive sounds, but it is more of a "generic" blues tone rather that the Robben Ford thing. I know its in there, I have just not figured how to dial it in.

Have you tried the ODS-100 Lead or Carol Ann 0D2 models with a G12-65 cabinet or other 1x12 or 2x12 cab w/ a british speaker, try the EV-12L cabs too. If the ODS-100 didn't work right away try the Carol Ann. But either should get you close. I built a Brown Note D'Lite and found turning up the internal gain pot brought the amp into Robben territory - so playing with the 'input trim' on the advanced page might work the same.

On 'The Inside Story' there was something funky going on that could have been a flanger, but it wasn't a swirly or jet flanger (just looked it up and he has used the TC Chorus/Flanger as well as a Lexicon for chorus/delay). In his later work I hear something similar but not as intense. There's definitely some time-based effect going on.

Hi Guys, there are two RB tones that I'm working on right now with the Axe II and are a bit elusive. Has anyone gotten the nice clean chime of Robben's "Life Song" and , for that matter, the solo Tone he gets in that same tune?
Thanks.
P
Is that you, Robben?

Is that you, Robben?

That would be fun - imagine RF on the forum trying to match his own tone. Actually that's not a bad idea. I know that he travels a lot and doesn't fly overseas with his Dumble for obvious reasons. Maybe Cliff can offer to match his amp and fractalize him! Yummy!

Back
Top Bottom