Looking for Opinions on Cabs....????

Hi Peeps,

My question is will stage monitors work well using a stereo power amp and an Ultra?

I'm torn between Atomic passives (x2), QSC 8s or 10s (x2), or say Yamaha Club series monitors (x2).

Thoughts, suggestions, opinions, experience, all greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

weathertite1 said:
Hi Peeps,

My question is will stage monitors work well using a stereo power amp and an Ultra?

I'm torn between Atomic passives (x2), QSC 8s or 10s (x2), or say Yamaha Club series monitors (x2).

Thoughts, suggestions, opinions, experience, all greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

Out of three posted I would go Atomic, unless foot print is an issue then the QSC's are the obvious choice. The Club series are ok I have played through a pair of 15's and the sound is a bit fizzier on top so EQ'ing is in order when using those cabs.

It's not that expensive to go both routes. I bought an SLA-2 Power amp and an Atomic Passive Wedge (both are less than a QSC). I play around with going from Power amp to one of my 2X12's, then try going to the passive wedge.....allows you to play around with FRFR sounds and direct sounds you may be used to. I also play around with running both sometimes (2X12 backline, wedge as monitor), and what's great is you can use the two Output level knobs to adjust them individually, running the SLA-2 in stereo. If you really find yourself prefering one or the other you can expand on that set-up if you like.

Thanks much for the responses. This is the sort of opinions and information I have been looking for. Keep it coming.

Thanks,
Ed
:D

I am running 2 QSC 12's on stands and a QSC 10 on the floor as a monitor. This is for a solo gig. Sounds pretty good though I do prefer my studio monitors. I just cant afford to fill a decent sized room with monitor quality sound:)

I took around a mp3 of some solo guitar work and auditioned a few different systems. That helped me.

HEY TUMBLEWEED,

Thanks for the reply. Do you like your K12s better than the K10?

Will the K10s or 12's sound good at a low volume for in the house playing/practicing?

Have you ever tried the K8s or do you need a sub to get bottom end out of a pair?

Thanks in advance for all opinions, options and advice.

Ed

The sales rep had the bass boost on the K10's which I thought muddied up the mid range too much. So I was comparing the K10 with no bass boost and the K12. The K12 for me sounded more balanced and didnt color the sound as much.

I was using a mp3 of drums, bass and guitar that I had recorded in cubase as my reference. I will be fronting a small trio and this most closely represented how they will be used.

I did not audition any speakers with only guitar sound. I have read some people like the K10 better as a cab. I didnt audition it as a guitar only cab so dont have an opinion on that.

I wish I could have auditioned the EV's.

Ed,

Its been awhile since I have looked at speakers, I dont recall the model name. It was similair in configuration to the K12.

weathertite1 said:
I would like to get what I hear in the headphones live.

All suggestions welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

Are IEMs out of the question? It'll be half the price. And you won't be hurting your back carrying amps and cabs. Personally I bought the cheapest, smallest and lightest active monitor I could find: http://www.thomann.de/fi/behringer_b210d.htm <--- that one in white. I know that's cheap and by no standards flat response but it's "full range" is enough for me and it does sound veeeery close to the sound my KRK 5s produce. 220W RMS and I get a nice cutting tone in rehearsals and I can hear myself live. It actually competes with a 100W tube amp through a 4x12 cab and the monitor sounds tight and crisp while the cab just sounds *whoooooom*.

My suggestion. Get high end gear to places where you don't mess things up with earplugs.

Back
Top Bottom