Looking for help setting up optimal setup for recording and reamping

O1111

Hey guys,

I’ve read some multiple reamp guides for the axe fx 2 and had some questions.

First, I see that I can connect my axe fx to my Mac. In my case, I have the option of using usb and spdf. I just want to confirm that spdf does indeed provide a better quality signal compared to usb.

Also, my current setup for recording (no DI, just my straight axe fx 2 wet signal) is I have my guitar plugged into the front, and then I use the balanced XLR left and right outputs in the back of the axe fx going into my Yamaha Steinberg FireWire interface. My monitors are plugged into outputs on my interface.

I read something that I needed to set up an aggregate device ? I was wondering if someone could clarify what exactly this means. What I was hoping is that I would be somehow he able to use my FireWire interface and axe fx to record my processed axe fx signal in addition to a DI track.

If anyone could provide me with some tips with this particular set up it would be very much appreciated.

There's no sound quality difference between USB and SPDIF. They both send the same digital audio stream. USB also gives you the advantage of being able to record both the dry input from your guitar and the wet processed signal from the Axe II grid at the same time. In other words, USB is 4 in, 2 out while SPDIF is only 2 in 2 out.

There's no sound quality difference between USB and SPDIF. They both send the same digital audio stream. USB also gives you the advantage of being able to record both the dry input from your guitar and the wet processed signal from the Axe II grid at the same time. In other words, USB is 4 in, 2 out while SPDIF is only 2 in 2 out.

Hm..thank you. Is the quality from analog outs into my interface better than the wet signal from the USB?

Nope. Same signal except you are adding extra digital to analog and then analog to digital conversions.

Thank you very much for the help. Would you be able to provide some clarification as to what an aggregate device actually is?

Most DAWs will only let you select one active audio device, creating an aggregate device lets you combine the inputs and outputs of multiple audio interfaces into one virtual device. MacOS supports aggregate devices natively. Windows does not and must use a third party driver like ASIO4ALL to do it.

Back
Top Bottom