Looking for best setup for accuracy and sound for playing for my in home use

Sryan0416

Hello all, I am a total noob, but before posting this question I did search the forum. I just purchased an axe fx 2 and want to be able to get the most out of amp and cab modeling for in home use, at a quiet to moderate level of sound. I am thinking I should get one of the Matrix power amps but I don't know if I should be considering a pa speaker or what. I don't expect I will ever be performing for others more likely just playing along with tracks. Currently I have a black star stack with a return loop. I would appreciate any advise as to 1) power amp for in home use, 2) pa speaker versus effects loop of black star. I want a depth of sound and clarity at relatively low volume. Thanks everyone for your advise and opinions!

If you just aim home use, you dont need a PA and cab, just use studio monitors.
Depending on your budget, a lot of good monitors work very well with AxeFx...

Thanks for comment. If I go with studio monitor for in home use would I still need/ or is it recommended that i use a power amp? Also what studio monitor could you recommend for best in home use of axe with amp and cab modeling as well as effects?

I would say studio monitors are great, however if you know for sure you will NEVER play with a band or NEVER play for a crowd, Some Adam a8 monitors are the ticket . The adam monitors however are about $799.99 a peice.
Now if it was me I would go with a matrix monitor, An Atomic CLR, a RFC NX12. I also have played on an Alto coaxial although not as nice as the RCF, the price difference is huge RCF- $1699.00 Alto-$299.00.
Another great set of monitors would be Rockit monitors-Yamaha monitors- and I have heard nothing but great things about the set of Equator monitors and they are ONLY $299.99 for the set.

KRK Rokit *'s Gen 2 would be plenty for low olume home playing. I have apair and for late night playing they sound great.
however ...................so does my RCFNX12 for just home playing an NX 10 would probably be perfect.

Thanks for recommendations. I went to local shop today, but they only had Roland CM30 monitors. Does anyone have an opinion on these? I am going to go route with out power amp. I am not sure if powered speakers or studio monitors are going to give me a more authentic pleasing sound. I know price makes a difference, and I would be willing to pay as much as $400.00 for speaker solution. Any additional comments are welcome! So far I have been really impressed through my headphones.

Hmm, 400 bucks wont go too far. I had to play through my Kustom 12 powered monitor one time. It wasnt that bad. you can buy 3 for 400 and go WDW!!!

cm30 monitors hype the bass and treble a bit, so you may want to dial those down. otherwise it's a great choice for that price range. multiple inputs with volume controls and a good sound.

I have the KRK Rokit 5's and couldn't be happier. Great sound for home and plenty of volume. If you need it louder go for the 6's. You can grab a pair for $400 for sure, if you plan on running stereo.

Wow I just looked at reviews for Equator monitors; the D5. I am thinking of trying then out. Has anyone had first hand experience with the D5 speakers and any of the Axe models? Thanks for your suggestions. Thank you all.

I would get a pair of the Equater D5 monitors. i have a pair and love them. Such a deal for $300. Witth the money you save on the monitors I would also look at one Matrix, RFC or Atomic CLR to compliment them. That's the route I am going for my home studio.

You get the best of both worlds...the D5s are also great when mixing a project but when you want to crank and get that extra power one of the FRFR wedges are great for that. They are also small and do not take up much real estate.

Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to try out the Equator D5's monitors. I will be sure and post my opinion up here.

Back
Top Bottom