Looking for advice: Using Tech 21 Power Engine (60W) with AxeFx II

OddManOut

Inspired
Along with my AxeFx II I'm currently using a QSC GX3 driving a Port City OS212 but would like to eventually switch to (or augment with) an Atomic CLR or other FRFR unit. In the meanwhile, someone local to me (Central NY) has posted a pair of Tech 21 Power Engines for an attractive price. Before I pursue this, I'd like to know if anyone in the Fractal community has any experience - good or bad - using these things with an AxeFx II.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reactions: Miq
I've owned a Tech 21 Power Engine for years and it's a great piece for lightweight and good sound where you don't need insane amounts of volume. Really good for the money. I've used it with my AxeFxII before with very good results. I used mine for years with a Marshall JMP1/Palmer PDI 09/Rocktron Xpression, so I was sending what would be the equivalent of an AxeFXII present that included Amp, Cab and Reverb blocks (in other words, a finished sound suitable for going to FOH).

Things I would think about in making your decision include:

- It's not a FRFR box. If you tend to play patches that are sort of typical electric guitar/amp tones, it will work very well since your patch will likely not have a ton of high frequency content to being with. Even high gain patches sounded pretty darn good. I would not suggest it if you tend to play acoustic type patches or synth patches with lots of high end content that need "sparkle".

- It's an open back design, so it'll sound like an open back cab.

- The EQ section is VERY powerful and can add or subtract a ton of EQ.

- If you run a direct signal to a FOH PA, there is an XLR out on the PE60 that is not affected by the EQ. In other words, you can send a signal that works great for the FOH into the PE60, send that same signal out of the PE60 to FOH and use the EQ in it to adjust only what you hear on stage

- There are at least a couple of speakers that have been used in these. The older "Tech21" speakers were actually flatter than the Celestion speakers they used in the later models. Both were very good though.

- Two of these would sound great in stereo

- Never had a minutes problem with the unit. Simple, and well built. Always just worked.

Here's a video of a guy using an 11 Rack through a PE60 that should give you an idea of what to expect.

Avid Eleven Rack thru a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 Amp - YouTube

Hope that helps
Reactions: Miq
Hi Karma,
Thanks for such a thorough and informative response! You even included a video - how cool is that? I apologize for such a tardy reply - I went on travel just after posting my question and have been super busy at work since returning. Anyway, based on your input, I'm going to check out the Power Engines for sale this weekend. I will likely only buy one though the seller has two for sale. I do want to hear how stereo sounds too - who knows I may buy both of them. Thanks again for your super-helpful response.
Bob aka OddManOut

Talk about reviving an old thread! Here's the rest of my story. Based on Karmas input I bought both power engines for a total of $500. Everything Karma said was true. However, as he pointed out, they are not FRFR and that turned out to be a bigger concern than I expected it to be. Long story short, within about 6 months I bought an Atomic CLR and couldn't be happier. On the plus side, I sold the pair of power engines last fall for...$500, so if you can buy them at at good price, you can get most or all of your money back. Hope this helps.

Power Engine is really neither "here nor there" as the old saying goes. Its not a flat reference type of monitor, so it naturally does have some coloration of the sound, but its also not what I (this is my subjective opinion) would consider a great sounding cab either.

Essentially your not getting the benefits of a FRFR monitor, but your also not getting the benefits using an ideal speaker cab with your favorite speaker (again, IMO). Price is good though.....

Personally, I'd spend a bit more and either get a good FRFR system like a CLR, XiTone, ASM-12 etc, OR, I'd go with a true speaker cab that colors the sound the way you like, such as an oversized 2x12 with Creamback's or whatever else suits your own taste. Basically if its not going to be flat, I'd want the coloration of the sound to be to taste.

Power Engine is really neither "here nor there" as the old saying goes. Its not a flat reference type of monitor, so it naturally does have some coloration of the sound, but its also not what I (this is my subjective opinion) would consider a great sounding cab either.

Essentially your not getting the benefits of a FRFR monitor, but your also not getting the benefits using an ideal speaker cab with your favorite speaker (again, IMO). Price is good though.....

Personally, I'd spend a bit more and either get a good FRFR system like a CLR, XiTone, ASM-12 etc, OR, I'd go with a true speaker cab that colors the sound the way you like, such as an oversized 2x12 with Creamback's or whatever else suits your own taste. Basically if its not going to be flat, I'd want the coloration of the sound to be to taste.

If you find a cheap deal on a PE60 and a good speaker, the PE60 is a great platform to work with because you can conceivably get a good 60 watt open back cab with your speaker of choice for around $300. Most people say the PE60 power amp doesn't color tone noticably, so you're getting uncolored axe fx signal simply amplified through your speaker of choice. Probably a better deal than most options out there. Especially for those using modelers and don't mind not using IR

Back
Top Bottom