Looking For Advice on Drum Shields

quark

Experienced
Before our band goes totally deaf, we decided to invest in a drum shield for our drummer. I was wondering if you guys had
1) Opinions on how well they work or not
2) Any recommendations on brands or models to consider

Thanks ...

A top is a must, my drummer is inside a booth made with 2 big sliding glass doors, bolted together, a small door,and a TOP constructed of Styrofoam panels. Some Sonex on the interior walls.
The booth is fastened to a corner wall, adjacent the stage.

We used one for a while. Do they work, yes. Here's some random advice:

1. Get one that stands taller than the cymbals.
2. Never ever carry it flat. It will crack.
3. Keep it clean and get a cover for it.

I was watching a sound engineering tutorial and apart from the engineer hating them personally, he said the main thing to consider is if you are mic'ing the kit up, watch out for sound reflection bouncing around. I have no personal experience of this, it was just what was mentioned.

I was watching a sound engineering tutorial and apart from the engineer hating them personally, he said the main thing to consider is if you are mic'ing the kit up, watch out for sound reflection bouncing around. I have no personal experience of this, it was just what was mentioned.

Certainly stands to reason. Would be like mic’ing s guitar cab if the room was barely bigger than the cabinet.

You’d get so much bleed and reflections into every mic with a typical drum kit setup. Might give some unique sounds though....

Certainly stands to reason. Would be like mic’ing s guitar cab if the room was barely bigger than the cabinet.

You’d get so much bleed and reflections into every mic with a typical drum kit setup. Might give some unique sounds though....

This thread is about hearing protection not recording.

This thread is about hearing protection not recording.

I was responding to another members post which talked about the recording implications of shields, and which also can relate to mic’ing live kits.

Didn’t know I’d run afoul of the forum topic police, though being an audiologist by profession I appreciate your zeal for hearing protection, as it’s a subject equally important to me.

I was responding to another members post which talked about the recording implications of shields, and which also can relate to mic’ing live kits.

Didn’t know I’d run afoul of the forum topic police, though being an audiologist by profession I appreciate your zeal for hearing protection, as it’s a subject equally important to me.

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude :(

Back
Top Bottom