Lonnie Mack - Memphis

Bulldog50

Inspired
Guys and Gals,
How many of you are familiar with the Lonnie Mack version of Memphis? I have been practicing this piece for the last 2 months, and I am slowly getting it, but I need some help on getting Lonnie's sound. Does anyone have a preset (factory or custom) that they can recommend that would give me that rockabilly sound that Lonnie gets on that recording? It is truly amazing. I first heard Memphis back in 1964, and I said to myself "What the f__K is that?" After hearing it, I was in love with the electric guitar.

Hmm I know he used old magnatone amps back in the day but I would think a good fender with some verb, a boost to get a little edge to it, and - this is key - vibrato.
the harmonic tremolo might do the trick too! That swirly magnatone sound is very cool...check out their new amps if you can they are sweet.

i will see if I can put something together later.

Hmm I know he used old magnatone amps back in the day but I would think a good fender with some verb, a boost to get a little edge to it, and - this is key - vibrato.
the harmonic tremolo might do the trick too! That swirly magnatone sound is very cool...check out their new amps if you can they are sweet.

i will see if I can put something together later.
Well, I have a Strat and a Tele and a Twin Reverb also. Thanks.

Ok here's a really quick mess of a preset...and a horrible recording. Used my 335 because that's what was here...and a bad drum loop. Made with headphones on so some tweaks might be needed...

Preset has the Gibson Scout and a Super Verb - wasn't sure what I liked more. Tried messing with the spring verb in front and a panned plate verb at the end. THere's both a harmonic trem and a vibe in there - It doesn't sound like either are really used in the Memphis song but there is def a bit-reduced sounding effect on the lead later in the tune? Not sure about that. But anyway, here 'tis. Maybe someone can take it further.

You can also try this preset - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/magnatoneish.156630/#post-1865196 I tried it with FracTool and it was pretty cool.

Attachments

• Lonnie Mack Memphis.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Ok here's a really quick mess of a preset...and a horrible recording. Used my 335 because that's what was here...and a bad drum loop.

Preset has the Gibson Scout and a Super Verb - wasn't sure what I liked more. Tried messing with the spring verb in front and a panned plate verb at the end. THere's both a harmonic trem and a vibe in there - It doesn't sound like either are really used in the Memphis song but there is def a bit-reduced sounding effect on the lead later in the tune? Not sure about that. But anyway, here 'tis. Maybe someone can take it further.

You can also try this preset - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/magnatoneish.156630/#post-1865196 I tried it with FracTool and it was pretty cool.

Haha! Sounds very cool. I'll give it a try! I think Lonnie might have used a 335 in the original, or a predecessor of the 335. BTW, what is FracTool?

Ok here's a really quick mess of a preset...and a horrible recording. Used my 335 because that's what was here...and a bad drum loop.

I googled fractool. I now know what is its. Thx anyway.

Back
Top Bottom