Long-time Axe-Fx user, first time FRFR user, some thoughts

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm really making some significant progress. I am using the power amp modeling on the lower gain patches with great success. For some reason, I'm getting non-musical distortion in the higher gain patches ... I think it's just a matter of balancing the master and level controls.

I'm really close to selling off my tube amp and guitar cab at this point... really close.

Well, I acquired some IR packs, and they are measured in different places (cap center/edge, cone edge, etc and different mic distances in each SYX file.
Gotch ya.
FWIW, I would just ignore that info and let your ears guide you. Sometimes what you ears want is not what logic tells you. ;)

I didn't see where you mentioned what you're using for cabs/monitors. The actual physical cabs/monitors being used can heavily influence the end result. If you're running the signal through low end monitors, or cabs that are not very flat, it can add undesirable characteristics, something no IR will fix. I struggled with FRFR for a couple of years, until I finally purchased a pair of active CLR's. That was the "Ah Hah" moment for me. I would also suggest using the looper block to record a short guitar riff, then, with the loop playing, cycle through and tweak cabs for a quick comparison. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's tips, I've really made some more significant progress.

I feel kinda lame, because I really had no clue how much impact the power amp modeling would have... once I got the level and master working together properly with the power amp modeling enabled, the Plexi models *FINALLY* sounded like a real Plexi!. I didn't realize how much I was losing going into the return of my tube amp... I started playing old Free and Bad Company, ZZ Top and Aerosmith, bam, there were the tones. Tush sounded dead on...

I kinda think that maybe I wasn't into FRFR in the past because I wasn't giving it a fair shot at decent volume. Plus I'm not sure how much the Line6 claims of sounding more like a guitar amp are true, but that may also have alot to do with it.

With the volume up I'm really getting alot more guitar/amp interaction/interplay. So then I thought, let me pull up the Wreck Express, and mess around. I still have some tweaking on finding the right IR, but it's really responsive. Didn't seem to clean up as well as a real Wreck (well, at least the nice clone I had).

Next up: explore more of the non-master amps, like the Bassman, Hiwatt.

My wife just noted "You've been playing more guitar lately, why is that?". I guess if gear inspires you to play more, that's a good thing, right?

Thanks for everyone's tips, I've really made some more significant progress.

I feel kinda lame, because I really had no clue how much impact the power amp modeling would have... once I got the level and master working together properly with the power amp modeling enabled, the Plexi models *FINALLY* sounded like a real Plexi!. I didn't realize how much I was losing going into the return of my tube amp... I started playing old Free and Bad Company, ZZ Top and Aerosmith, bam, there were the tones. Tush sounded dead on...

I kinda think that maybe I wasn't into FRFR in the past because I wasn't giving it a fair shot at decent volume. Plus I'm not sure how much the Line6 claims of sounding more like a guitar amp are true, but that may also have alot to do with it.

With the volume up I'm really getting alot more guitar/amp interaction/interplay. So then I thought, let me pull up the Wreck Express, and mess around. I still have some tweaking on finding the right IR, but it's really responsive. Didn't seem to clean up as well as a real Wreck (well, at least the nice clone I had).

Next up: explore more of the non-master amps, like the Bassman, Hiwatt.

My wife just noted "You've been playing more guitar lately, why is that?". I guess if gear inspires you to play more, that's a good thing, right?
Persistence pays off!

I use a number of Marshall and Freidman amps in the AXE, but use mostly factory CAB 149, the 4 x 12 TRAD V60 FULL (Mesa slant cab) for most of my presets...and for Mesa amps, I use the SM57's mostly...and I rarely need tweaking.

I use Yamaha HS8's as my FRFR's...very flat and very accurate...so they pretty much reproduce the AMPS/SIMS faithfully!

The FRFR's make the biggest difference overall in sound reproduction...

You can go from hero to zero with the wrong FRFR's...and unless you can see the actual spec on paper...showing that flat curve, you may be chasing your tail.

I know it was mentioned already but worth mentioning again & that’s setting your Hi-Cut. Bring it down anywhere between 5-10K wherever it needs to be depending on the IR you’re using. Doing this will also allow you to crank up the Treble, Presence & Bright Switch the way you might want to without them getting out of control.. which on some amps also effect your gain..

Back
Top Bottom