Lollar imperial love ! Anyone ?

lukather

Inspired
I'm looking to put some low winds in my fano ! I chose DiMazio when made but think I'm missing something with all the good things I've seen and heard, anyone using these?

They are mighty expensive in the Uk

Was thinking of bare knuckle or Antiquities ?

Any suggestions or should I just go Lollar ?

It's a fano tc6 - see sig

C

I love my Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs. Every manufacturer makes some kind of PAF and often many variations. It's the standard for all humbuckers.

I have no desire to get sucked into tone chasing with pickups at this point. The Axe Fx can already do so much so I let it to the heavy lifting. Bear in mind that lots of players select certain pickups because they are using one specific amp but with the Axe FX we are constrained by that.

I think it's important to get a pickup that basically does what want for the top of music you like though. If I was playing death metal I wouldn't chose a PAF but for what I like to play the PAF is perfect.

Last edited:
I have to get it together with my guitar jargon....
I read "low wind" and thought maybe you guys thought it didn't stink as bad.

Last edited:
Lollar pickups are pretty popular in the colonies. Can't say I'd recommend them over BKP because I think you'd be happy either route

I have Lollar single coils in my signature model "The Crafty" built by WG Bristol Guitars (Disclaimer: I am an endorser for WG Bristol Guitars). Greg Bristol convinced me to go with the Lollars. I am very glad I did, as they are rich and complex and give everything from spanky clean vibe to thick Texas grind, I am very happy with the Lollar pickups. Greg lets me try out most of his builds, and he has built some awesome guitars. I have played a few with Duncan Antiquity pickups. They sound great. I have a Heritage 555 with Seth Lovers in it, and I am thinking of swapping them for the Antiquity. I like them that much.

I purchased a PRS Singlecut Trem used that had the Imperial low winds in it. Initially, I was a little disappointed that the original pickups weren't included, but am completely sold on the Lollars. They excel in every area, from ultra clean to gritty. I would (and often do) recommend them to anyone who might be interested.

My Gibsons all have custom buckers , which I believe use alnico 3 mags. Sweetest tone I know. The great part of a weaker , balanced pickup is that you get the full spectrum. Melodic , dynamic tones , or crank up your gain (to taste) , preferably just enough to still keep the characteristics of these pickups , - OR crank your amp to the point where any pickup sounds the same.

I'm convinced boutique pups are well worth the money. They do something that is hard to describe and even with all the tone shaping tools of the axe, it is still worth it imo. I'm in the bkp camp

Back
Top Bottom