Lok-N-Roll Compensated Locking Nut

Tom Morris

Power User
Anyone installed one of these? I like the looks of the nut as I'm needing to replace an R2 Floyde Rose with and R3, damn you ESP. Why cant guitar builders put the correct nut for the neck radius of guitars the sell. Just had this guitar plecked yesterday and it would play so much nicer if the nut was the correct radius. Which leads me to this lok-n-roll. Compensated nut? Ok why not. Anyone? They don't seem to have any installation info at all, not that its rocket science but would be nice to know if it needs to be shimmed as it looks like it rests on top of the fret board.

http://lok-n-roll.com

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 2.33.19 PM.jpg

While it does seem interesting, the website has a lot of stuff on there- but literally says nothing... photos/descriptions/videos super confusing and unclear to me- just says a lot of sizzle but I don't get exactly how/why it does what it does better... I really dislike how they communicate their product. It seems like a good concept at the right price point- I just don't get it from what they're communicating- it's raising more questions than answers.

While it does seem interesting, the website has a lot of stuff on there- but literally says nothing... photos/descriptions/videos super confusing and unclear to me- just says a lot of sizzle but I don't get exactly how/why it does what it does better... I really dislike how they communicate their product. It seems like a good concept at the right price point- I just don't get it from what they're communicating- it's raising more questions than answers.
The site and content needs a little work. However, it does say what it does but does assume that the customer knows what a compensated nut does--alters string length to improve tuning consistency between strings, especially towards the nut. The site also claims other benefits that are dubious (faster playing, less hand fatigue, more even tension across strings).

Saw it at namm. Right next to the Floyd rose booth. Seems legit and made well. Not easy to test at namm. Personally I just like the look of a Floyd nut.

I have altered the locking nuts on many guitars to conform to the neck radius. It made them more comfortable and easier to play every time.

I went ahead and ordered one. Gregory Decker of lok-n-roll sent me an email with some less than professional photos of installation. The nut does rest on top of the fret board and looks like it may need shimming under the nut its self where one would normally shim. I will snap some photos of the install once I get it. Personally I like the looks of it's rounder smoother surfaces. Looking at the design of the three lock blocks they look as tho they won't twist a bit like the standard Floyde rose type where one string goes sharp and one goes flat as you tighten them down. Time will tell.

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 8.26.46 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-03-06 at 8.27.11 PM.jpg

Finally got around to installing this tonight. Installation was pretty straight forward and I did need to shim it a bit for it to set flat in the nut slot, as this also rests on the fret board. Haven't re-strung and set the intonation yet but I did test the feel with the old string and it feels right. I need change the pickup rings and wanted to try and find some washers tomorrow for that. One Issue with the Lok-N Roll, the beveled counter sunken lock screws are hit or miss. Meaning one didn't fit down in the counter sunken hole of the lock block well and was binding to the point you couldn't tighten it. Not sure if its bad machining before chrome of the part or just inconsistent screws but I had to grind the bevel of the screw so it didn't bind. It looks nice and much smoother that the Floyde Rose version. Just once I would like to buy something that doesn't need to be fixed before you can use it.IMG_3774.jpgIMG_3775.jpgIMG_3776.jpgIMG_3777.jpgIMG_3778.jpgIMG_3779.jpgIMG_3780.jpgIMG_3781.jpgIMG_3782.jpgIMG_3783.jpg

Sincerest thanks for the great pics and view on this product. I am also interested. I am just wondering if it is even worth it to consider something like this. I mean, will one even hear a difference?

Please let us know how it works when you have re-strung and checked intonation. Very interested!

Thank you for the detailed write up. I look forward to your impressions once you get to play with it for a while. Those rounded parts look much more comfortable than the nut you replaced. Did it come with the shims or did you have to purchase those separately?

I was wondering how they got around the patent that caused the EBMM vs Earvana lawsuit. It looks like that patent expired recently so maybe Earvana will start making the Floyd version again.

Depending on Tom Morris' review, I may pick one of these up and give it a try. I do like the rounded edges.

Final thoughts. Re-strung and intonation done. This Lok-N-Roll nut is a R3 12" radius Same as the FR nut I took off but this radius seems better/right. The FR nut the GBE strings didn't have much of a curve at all, E sting felt really high. The compensated nut does what they say it does makes cords play in tune without having to bend strings around to sound in tune. The only draw back is playing to cover tunes that people didn't use a compensated nut is a bit off. The guitar plays great as I just had it PLECKED last week. I know I should have had this nut installed when it was PLECKED but I ordered the nut after making the appointment and didn't want to put it off. Worked out really well I'm thinking of ordering another one for my 2014 PRS Custom 24FR. Kind of pricey at $54.35 but a nice little upgrade for a rainy day.

Hi guys! I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.
Thank you Tom for the review.
I just wanted to chime in. I’m available to answer any questions.
There are other reviews on our website and our Instagram.
On a side note, I’ve been using Fractal Audio for years. I’ve owned 4 now and desperately want a FM3.
gregory
Founder
Lok-N-Roll

Back
Top Bottom