Logic Pro X: Need Help with MIDI automation for patch/scene changes

Fuzzy Pinetree

I've worked on getting MIDI automation in the past, but ran into so many issues that I gave up. I'm using an AFX II XL+ and a iMac with the latest version of Logic Pro X

Do you mean recording your midi pedal movements into a midi part into Logic so you play that back later to automate your scene and patch changes during a live performance? It's actually fairly simple if you're using a midi controller.

Simply connect your midi controller to your DAW and record those midi events into a midi track while you're playing. Turn on monitor for that midi track and set the output to the AxeFX so you can hear the changes in the AxeFX while you play.

Then turn monitor off during playback and your AxeFX will change scenes and patches according to what you performed while recording.

I've worked on getting MIDI automation in the past, but ran into so many issues that I gave up. I'm using an AFX II XL+ and a iMac with the latest version of Logic Pro X
Ok, basically assign a channel in Logic for your Midi commands by creating a new external midi track.
Draw a track on the channel by simply clicking and dragging the mouse on the track itself.
Click on the track you’ve drawn, then click on the List Editor button near the top right of Logic.
At this point, you will enter your program change and control change values. Look at the manual for the corresponding numbers for your presets.
If you are changing presets, you wil need a PC and CC command. If you are just changing scenes within a preset, you with only need a CC.
There are several good videos that you can find with a quick Google search that will walk you through the details, but that’s it in a nutshell.
Good luck!

I've been doing this alot lately tracking guitar from home. Here's a video from a week ago of me doing it. Very simple to do, and I would be glad to help you out on how to do it correctly.

I am also having trouble with this. Super noob to anything modeler/profiler related. To give y'all an idea, I'm coming from an 11 y/o 75W Line 6 solid state amp. I'm now running an Axe FX III MKII (love it!) into a Headrush FRFR-112.

I get about as far in Logic Pro as entering the values, only to not see any corresponding communication in either Axe Edit or on the unit itself. I've tried updating both programs, quitting them and reopening, and even entering different values for corresponding banks/scenes— and still no change on the Axe FX. It's as if Logic isn't communicating to the AFX.

On the unit's general settings, I have made sure program change was set to ON and scene select set to CC #34 (Per Greg Summers' instruction on his YouTube how-to video).

Any ideas/insights??

Make sure the output midi device is your AxeFX and make sure you’re using the midi channel that the AxeFX is set to receive on. Watch the midi light on the AxeFX to make sure it shows it is receiving the midi.

Make sure the output midi device is your AxeFX and make sure you’re using the midi channel that the AxeFX is set to receive on. Watch the midi light on the AxeFX to make sure it shows it is receiving the midi.
This^^^. MIDI channel is often the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom