Logic Pro: Recording Delay Setting

So the accepted solution to this is to do a ping test literally every day...?
:|
Having the same problem here, never had any issues with recording latency (not input monitoring latency, different thing all together) before I got an AxeFX 3.
Are you recording while listening through headphones or monitors? I found that to be a small but determining factor for me.

I’m also gonna give Reaper a go next time I track. Been using Logic for years but figure it’s time to try something different. The recording latency has been a major PIMA. May not go away with another editor but will just have to see first hand.

Eh? Why would that matter? Even if there’s no monitors at all it’s still going to be out of sync. The delay is happening when it’s recording not when you’re listening back. I am also going to try reaper, I usually use Reaper for practicing anyway, and from what I recall it did not have this problem. I don’t remember having to move things around when “bouncing” DIs to the AxeFX and then recording the output in Reaper, but I will go ahead and try it in a few anyway just to make sure.

So there is no problem at all in Reaper.
This is only in Logic for some reason, same exact project settings and everything...Fkn ridiculous :mad:

Looking around the web the general consensus seems to be that there's a misreporting of the drivers with Logic not only with the Axe, but other gear as well. I suppose this is something that FAS needs to address directly with Apple. For now, I'm tempted to try Reaper, but I love Logic for it suits my workflow the best.

Another option I'm contemplating is ditching USB altogether and going S/PDIF thru my interface, but it requires some specific routing PER-PRESET in case you want to record both DI and Amped signals via S/PDIF while USB has integrated this routing amazingly well, that's why I created a Wish thread for an option to route DI signal to one channel and the "Amped" signal to the other channel of the S/PDIF stereo signal without any need to modify your presets.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/spdif-aes-output-mode-option-for-in1-out1.170883/

I've seen this problem in other DAWs, not just Logic. At least Cubase and ProTools. I just tried Reaper and it's the same: it's necessary to put in a value for the manual offset to get the audio to sync up.

For anybody who runs into this: almost all DAWs have a manual adjustment you can enter as a preference. Just measure the error and set that manual correction preference value.

I've seen this problem in other DAWs, not just Logic. At least Cubase and ProTools. I just tried Reaper and it's the same: it's necessary to put in a value for the manual offset to get the audio to sync up.

For anybody who runs into this: almost all DAWs have a manual adjustment you can enter as a preference. Just measure the error and set that manual correction preference value.
I just tried Pro Tools 11 (it’s the only version I have a valid license for) and no problems. Also tried studio one, no problems. So for me on my system it really is isolated to Logic, heh. Very weird.

Looking around the web the general consensus seems to be that there's a misreporting of the drivers with Logic not only with the Axe, but other gear as well. I suppose this is something that FAS needs to address directly with Apple. For now, I'm tempted to try Reaper, but I love Logic for it suits my workflow the best.

Another option I'm contemplating is ditching USB altogether and going S/PDIF thru my interface, but it requires some specific routing PER-PRESET in case you want to record both DI and Amped signals via S/PDIF while USB has integrated this routing amazingly well, that's why I created a Wish thread for an option to route DI signal to one channel and the "Amped" signal to the other channel of the S/PDIF stereo signal without any need to modify your presets.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/spdif-aes-output-mode-option-for-in1-out1.170883/
That would be pretty amazing
If we could do that with SPDIF I wouldn’t use USB anymore either

Weird I’ve been using Logic X with my MacBook
Pro for years USB to Axe FX III and have never had any problems.
I’ll look at my Settings...

I just tried Pro Tools 11 (it’s the only version I have a valid license for) and no problems. Also tried studio one, no problems. So for me on my system it really is isolated to Logic, heh. Very weird.
No so weird. For all its venerable qualities, Logic has its foibles. IME, the offset problem can depend on the version of Logic in use (And perhaps integration with specific computer hardware and OS). Its worth mentioning that various gremlins will be fixed in one version of Logic yet some reappear in a later version. (I've been in a Logic User Group for years, this offset issue has arisen before, been fixed, seems to have reappeared. In any case, I suspect the ball is in the Apple/Logic court, I don't think its to do with the AxeFX3. For now, there's the sample offset work around, hopefully it will be back to automatic alignment in the next Logic release.

Last edited:

I have a silly question: So problem seems to be that there's a misreporting of the drivers with Logic. Is this only the case with USB or also when recording via SPDIF?

Hi all. Just for my education, is this mainly a Logic Pro issue? I use Reaper and am trying to learning anything I can about tracking. If it's a universal issue, I'll follow the thread and do my own research. Thanks in advance!

Dave

I see the problem in a variety of DAWs. Here's a demonstration of the problem in Reaper, but I also see it Cubase and ProTools. The first take in the second track is a loopback recording of the first track. It shows the playback of the recorded audio is out of sync with the previously recorded track. That shouldn't happen. If the audio interface is reporting its latency properly, the DAW should align the audio so they are in sync. The second take is after I adjusted the offset preference in Reaper to compensate for the error.

It's been observed many times on the forum that this problem doesn't happen with other audio interfaces, just the AxeFX. But that doesn't necessarily mean the problem is in the AxeFX. It might be a CoreAudio problem in MacOS with class compliant devices like the AxeFX. However, if that's the case, it's possible the problem might be solved if FAS provided a driver for the AxeFX. In any case, almost all DAWs have a preference value you can set to compensate for this error.

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 6.42.34 AM.png

I see the problem in a variety of DAWs. Here's a demonstration of the problem in Reaper, but I also see it Cubase and ProTools. The first take in the second track is a loopback recording of the first track. It shows the playback of the recorded audio is out of sync with the previously recorded track. That shouldn't happen. If the audio interface is reporting its latency properly, the DAW should align the audio so they are in sync. The second take is after I adjusted the offset preference in Reaper to compensate for the error.

It's been observed many times on the forum that this problem doesn't happen with other audio interfaces, just the AxeFX. But that doesn't necessarily mean the problem is in the AxeFX. It might be a CoreAudio problem in MacOS with class compliant devices like the AxeFX. However, if that's the case, it's possible the problem might be solved if FAS provided a driver for the AxeFX. In any case, almost all DAWs have a preference value you can set to compensate for this error.

View attachment 81710
Thanks for the explanation. Super helpful and appreciated.

View attachment 81710
Sorry, if this has been answered before, but can this problem be avoided when I record into Logic via SPDIF with another Audio Interface?
I am still waiting for my Apogee Interface because there's is delivery delay.

Sorry, if this has been answered before, but can this problem be avoided when I record into Logic via SPDIF with another Audio Interface?
Assuming your interface's working correctly and its driver is successfully reporting the latency to Logic, then yes. I have gotten better results with my Scarlett 18i20 than the Axe's USB interface.

It wouldn't make any sense to solve this problem by going through the extra complication of spdif when you can instead simply set the correction preference. There might be other reasons someone would want to use spdif, but fixing this problem isn't one of them.

Thank you for your advice about SPDIF versus USB. Another reason which might "justify" SPDIF is that I don't have enough USB Ports because a lot of things need a direct USB connection to to my Mac and it would be better to have 8 direct USB Ports instead of 4...

Crossposting this from another thread since this topic seems pretty close to what I'm dealing with and I'm kind of despearate for help. Long story short, setting a manual offset does not provide a consistent (if any) solution for me. Basically leaving me unable to re-amp without time shifting everything afterwards.

The # of samples to offset seems to change randomly.

Other thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/anyone-having-any-latency-issues-with-usb.137958/

I'm having issues in Reaper 6.28 getting the manual recording offsets to remain consistent between projects. It seems to change at random. Maybe I'm misunderstanding or doing something wrong?

• Windows Driver ASIO Buffer Size set to 128 samples Safe Mode checked.
  • Hardware Setup menu USB Buffer Size on the Axe-FX III is set to 256
  • Tbh, I'm not sure I understand the Axe-FX Hardware's USB Buffer Size purpose...
  • Reaper set up with "use audio driver reported latency" and adjusting for the offsets as described below
Here is what I am doing in a blank project:

Track One, routed pre-fader to Hardware Out 7/8 (IN USB block). Mute master send. (There is click track audio on this track)

Track Two set to record from USB IN 1/2 (Output 1 block)

Hit record a few bars ahead of where the click audio starts

Measure the # of samples offage and enter into "input manual offset" in Reaper options. In this particular case, the value was 998. Re-record and it lines up where it should.

Open a different existing project, leave the setting at 998. Do the same test and the 998 offset is not accurate for the new project. If I go back to the original blank project and repeat the first test, the 998 value no longer works properly. I have been chasing my tail for a few days trying to figure out what's going on.

Am I correct in understanding that this must be done separately for each project or am I just messing something up?

edit: Sounds like I am having the same problem as @steadystate here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-3-and-latency-in-reaper.158018/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom