Live Setup Suggestions Please

Big Joe Daddy

Experienced
I've had my Ultra for a few weeks now and I'm close to introducing it to my live rig. I'm running the Ultra, MFC-101, and a QSC K12. (I have two K12's but I'm trying to keep things simple and light by running only one). We run a Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 board with QSC K10 tops and K Subs bottoms. (I prefer the K10's over the K12's for tops with the subs) We also have K10's for wedges and we recently introduced some IEM's running mono although we haven't warmed up to them yet.
Presently, I'm running my PRS Custom 22 into Input 1 on the front panel, and the 1/4" Output 1 is running to my K12 on the floor. I have the I/O on the Ultra set as follows:
Output 1: Copy L->R
Copy Out1 to Out2: Off

My thoughts were that I'd continue to run the 1/4" Output 1 to my K12 wedge, and run the Output 1 XLR to the mixing desk for FOH. Then I start thinking about running Output 1 to the wedge and Output 2 to the FOH so I can have two level controls. I figured I'd set the output to the board and forget it, but I'd kind of like to have the luxury of controlling my stage volume without messing up the FOH signal.

Finally, I'd like to know how you guys with in-ears are putting everything together. Although we have an extra channel or two on the board that would allow me to go stereo if I wanted, we're pretty much locked into mono for our aux mixes (in-ears) because it takes two of our aux mixes to make a single stereo mix.

Long winded I know. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thx,
Joe

I would consider swapping your outs to run Out1 balanced to FOH, because it will often be a longer run, and Out2 to your K12.

You can still have two level controls running op-1 to FOH and OP-2 to your qsc and I would do it for the very reason the LMO suggested.

What I do is run a small line mixer from out1 1/4" jacks, send xlr stereo to the FOH board, and send an aux from FOH board to my line mixer. I can do a speaker monitor or send the stereo signal to my in ears. Seems to work well for me as I always can mix the guitar level without affecting the FOH level. The mixer i use is the Behringer 1 space 16 channel line mixer.

Greg

I've had my Ultra for a few weeks now and I'm close to introducing it to my live rig. I'm running the Ultra, MFC-101, and a QSC K12. (I have two K12's but I'm trying to keep things simple and light by running only one). We run a Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 board with QSC K10 tops and K Subs bottoms. (I prefer the K10's over the K12's for tops with the subs) We also have K10's for wedges and we recently introduced some IEM's running mono although we haven't warmed up to them yet.
Presently, I'm running my PRS Custom 22 into Input 1 on the front panel, and the 1/4" Output 1 is running to my K12 on the floor. I have the I/O on the Ultra set as follows:
Output 1: Copy L->R
Copy Out1 to Out2: Off

My thoughts were that I'd continue to run the 1/4" Output 1 to my K12 wedge, and run the Output 1 XLR to the mixing desk for FOH. Then I start thinking about running Output 1 to the wedge and Output 2 to the FOH so I can have two level controls. I figured I'd set the output to the board and forget it, but I'd kind of like to have the luxury of controlling my stage volume without messing up the FOH signal.

Finally, I'd like to know how you guys with in-ears are putting everything together. Although we have an extra channel or two on the board that would allow me to go stereo if I wanted, we're pretty much locked into mono for our aux mixes (in-ears) because it takes two of our aux mixes to make a single stereo mix.

Long winded I know. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thx,
Joe

I would suggest setting Copy OUT1>OUT2 to ON, you will have separate Output controls for FOH/stage and separate Global EQ. Use the OUT2 for your stage rig/IEM's, OUT1 to FOH. Personally I just leave Stereo on, as squashing to mono can have adverse affects on some FX. I just use the OUT 2 LEFT for stage rig, and OUT1 RIGHT for mono FOH. This way, anyone who can hear both your stage rig and FOH will hear some of the stereo ambience. I like sending some monitor feed back from FOH to wedges, so I get some ambience too.

Given i run almost that exact same type of band rig; i use the below: i send AXE in stereo, my vocal mic in, my acoustic occasionally or a Roland GR1. then i bring in a stereo band mix. all into my IEM. if i do a stage bleed i use an RCF312a.

almost Aviom for 300$ dig it. fits in my Gator gig bag with the axe in the pocket i dont eve rack it.

Buy Shure P4M 4-Channel Personal Monitor Mixer | In-Ear Wireless Systems | Musician's Friend
So Jack Attack....
That's a pretty slick deal. Let's you twist and shout to get things just the way you like without hassling with someone running the board.
One question...... How are you getting the signal for the 'stereo band mix'? Are you coming of the board from the auxes? If so, are you tying up two auxes to get your stereo signal?
Thx
BJD

I would suggest setting Copy OUT1>OUT2 to ON, you will have separate Output controls for FOH/stage and separate Global EQ. Use the OUT2 for your stage rig/IEM's, OUT1 to FOH. Personally I just leave Stereo on, as squashing to mono can have adverse affects on some FX. I just use the OUT 2 LEFT for stage rig, and OUT1 RIGHT for mono FOH. This way, anyone who can hear both your stage rig and FOH will hear some of the stereo ambience. I like sending some monitor feed back from FOH to wedges, so I get some ambience too.
Tubetonez,
Thanks for the reply. With your setup, what are you sending to your IEM's? Is it only your Axe? I'm curious how you'd pull vocals and the rest of the band into your IEM's.
Thanks,
Joe

I would consider swapping your outs to run Out1 balanced to FOH, because it will often be a longer run, and Out2 to your K12.
Thanks LMO,
That sounds pretty straight forward. I think I read somewhere in the Wiki that the XLR outs on the Axe are line level and that it's important to connect to the 'line in' on the board rather than the XLR mic input. So my guess is that I could just run a long XLR from the Axe to the board for the benefit of balanced cables and then use an XLR to 1/4" adapter to connect to the 'line in' on the mixer. Is that the way you see it?
Thanks,
Joe

Thanks LMO,
That sounds pretty straight forward. I think I read somewhere in the Wiki that the XLR outs on the Axe are line level and that it's important to connect to the 'line in' on the board rather than the XLR mic input. So my guess is that I could just run a long XLR from the Axe to the board for the benefit of balanced cables and then use an XLR to 1/4" adapter to connect to the 'line in' on the mixer. Is that the way you see it?
Thanks,
Joe
You certainly could. You could also get a DI box and run mic level to the mixer.

I don't use IEM's yet, if I do I'd go with some kind of small mixer with stereo feed from AxeFX, monitor/aux feed, and a vocal split if singing so I could have "more me". I'd still use OUTPUT 1 to feed FOH. My suggestion above was for mono FOH and at least some onstage monitoring. In any case, it works best for me to use one side L or R as opposed to summing to mono for FOH.

So Jack Attack....
That's a pretty slick deal. Let's you twist and shout to get things just the way you like without hassling with someone running the board.
One question...... How are you getting the signal for the 'stereo band mix'? Are you coming of the board from the auxes? If so, are you tying up two auxes to get your stereo signal?
Thx
BJD

depends on th FOH guy. what i ask him for is as simple as possible.. usually a duplicate of the mains ( even off his headphone feed!), or vocals onlly...there is usually enough mic bleed or stage volume to hear the drums. if its an e -drum gig. i just ask for a house mix. in the back of the shure there is a stereo in as well. as the other 4 inputs.

you can also do this with a cheap little tapco or Behr or mackie mixer.. same type deal. its just doesnt do the splits i like.... so i get my stuff befroe FOH does lol.

for unmiced small club gigs where nothing is miced but Vocals... i use my RCF wedge as crossfire "backline" or behind me like an amp.

I did a gig last weekend where they required we use the house backline. for this type of gig, i have patches in the AXE like a pedalboard and no amp sims and just use the house Twin. then the AFX is a virtual pedalboard like old school.

you really cant find a deal where you cant make the axe work. Amps, wedges, IEM you name it. thing is a TOOL. does everything. really.

you can even " design" your own custom OD pedal. EXample: if you take the BB , lower the Lowpass and highpass values in the pedal, you can make it sound like to my ears a Carl Martin OD pedal which was replaced. put a COMP pedal boost in front of that , a simple delay, and you can cut a gig with one patch and a couple of switches to turn em on and off. but NO NOISE! NO CABLES, no hassle.

Thing is changing my life.

Back
Top Bottom