Live Setup poll...

Which do you prefer?

• A couple of general patches to cover everything.

Votes: 104 80.0%
  • A patch/tone for each song.

Votes: 26 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i might have found one amp that with x/y and a few stomps can cover 95% of the ground i need it to....dialing in the patch now. this amp is totally surprising me. came out of nowhere, as I had barely tried prior to a few days ago. will share when/if i get it dialed to where i want it to. i am THIS close to the tone i've been searching for.

What's the model?

Last edited:
I keep a preferred clean, lt. breakup, crunch, OD, and lead/delay patch in each bank, in that order, for the most part. Different amps or patches hit me on a different level, sometimes, so I'll try another amp, at that point, to see if it gets me more in the zone, with the current band setup. I'm mostly playing church praise-team stuff, when I'm live, so that inherently means different musicians, with different gear and skill levels, so I have to be somewhat flexible, depending on the gig.

Like this guy...

TMI: Too Much Information :ambivalence:

I wouldn't have to worry about patches in this case, because I can't imagine a circumstance or amount of money that would have me playing backup here.

This guy brings his own patch - and he's wearing it right there for the world to see :nightmare:

Reactions: LVC
Nothing more dissatisfying to me than seeing a cover band where the guitar tone/sound is the same sound for every song/lead. Fortunate Son with the same sound as Symphony of Destruction? LOL how about Pink Floyd and then Five Finger Death Punch? ZZ Top and then Disturbed? Why have an Axe FX if you're not going to use it to it's full potential?

I spend the Time, with 384 pre-sets available, having a tone match and effects layout for each song is one of the main reasons I bought this thing and my Marshall stacks and old rack is sitting there collecting dust......, and with 8 scenes per pre-set, it's perfect as it's quite rare to need more than 8 different settings within a song.

Also we recently started contracting production, with a guy that runs our board, lights, fog, and effects all night semi choreographed to provide a show for a fraction of our pay, he's officially part of our band now.... We don't just play, we perform and put on a show. Other bands that just set up their gear and play, no sound, no lights, and just stand there, get paid 1/3rd what we get, and I believe it's because of all the extra's including spending the time to reproduce the famous sounds of the bands we are covering.

And Yes I like getting compliments, even from mullet headed bar drunks, another reason I bought into Fractal Audio.

On the other hand, you could be playing all one style and only require one sound, however, this is not me.

So, you dislike seeing cover bands that don't use an Axe FX? Because those guys are using the same amp all night long and generally only have a couple different "tone" shaping pedals like distortions, eq's, etc... and that rig has been around for 1/2 a century.

Five presets (clean, mildly dirty, crunch, kinda distorted, way distorted). The first three have a boost (filter), the last two don't need it. Normal effects are available in each. Cover 40-50 tunes in a night, from the Temptations to Pearl Jam.

I've thought of the preset-per-song-route, but with an audience there are just too many off ramps and song switches. I might go that way if I had a pretty locked in, concert type, list going.

I do have a couple of special presets one bank up, in case we do something I need violins or whatever.

My preset set up is 5 banks- 4presets per bank. Each bank is based around a genre.

I have a classic rock bank the rhythm is plexi based, the clean is also plexi. I also have a preset inside that
Is for the song "Love Song" by Tesla that handles the clean, gain, dirty tones & 2 Leslie speeds.

I have a Hair Metal bank that's AFD 100 based.

A general bank that is 5150 based that I use most often. The presets handle most of the songs we do.

I have another 80s bank that is Mesa Mark based for those more liquid 80s tones. I have a preset on that bank that I use to handel the keyboards in Separate Ways by Journey. The clean tone on that bank is also set up for Your Love by the Outfield.

My 5th bank is my modern bank nothing special based on Dual Rec right now.

Each bank is set up the same. 1)Rhythm 2) special 3) clean 4) Lead

I know that the average person in the audience isn't gonna notice if my presets are accurate to the song but I think if the tone matches the tone/feel of the genre it makes more sense in the subconscious of the peson. Plus it gets me more in the moment or vibe of the song.

Back
Top Bottom