Live Setup = FOH Stereo + FRFR Backline. Best Practices and Setup Recommendations

JSM

Hi All,

I want to get the wisdom of the forum on the best way to go FOH direct from the AXE-FX in stereo and simultaneously run a backline, unmic'd FRFR amp (in my case an Atomic CLR) on stage behind me. I have an upcoming gig and the house has a nice PA so I thought I would give this configuration a go.

My first idea was to just add an FX loop to each of my patches and route the outputs to it and connect the FX send to the on-stage FRFR backline amp but thought I would check with the pros here first to see if there are better ways to accomplish this.

Any suggestions you have on configuring/setting this up is most appreciated.

Cheers!

JSM

Use the xlr to feed the house and use output 2 to go to your backline... no need for a fxloop if you are using the cab sims on both outs. This way you can control your volume without futzing with the feed going to the house. Personally i run my xlr 1 output to my K12, and out of the split of that to the FOH... then i use output 2 stereo to my iem mixer.

I use XLR OUT 1 to a pair of CLR active wedges.
I use TS OUT 1 (left only) and send to venue board for the other musicians monitor mix only.
I use TS OUT 2 into a behringer EPQ 2000 poweramp and power a pair of Peavey 215 FOH speakers on either side of the stage.

Most places are only a mono PA and the rest of the band don't want to help lug our whole pa when we can just use the house, but I want stereo and so I bring my own.

Every Sunday at one campus I run a CLR wedge with my AFII by feeding FOH with output 1 from Axe to FOH and Axe output 2 TRS to by CLR input 1. I am also using the CLR as my stage monitor so I also run a FOH feed without guitar into input 2 of the CLR. This way I control how much of me I hear with output 2 on the Axe without affecting the house mix. Best rig I have ever had the pleasure of playing!

Hi All,

I want to get the wisdom of the forum on the best way to go FOH direct from the AXE-FX in stereo and simultaneously run a backline, unmic'd FRFR amp (in my case an Atomic CLR) on stage behind me. I have an upcoming gig and the house has a nice PA so I thought I would give this configuration a go.

My first idea was to just add an FX loop to each of my patches and route the outputs to it and connect the FX send to the on-stage FRFR backline amp but thought I would check with the pros here first to see if there are better ways to accomplish this.

Any suggestions you have on configuring/setting this up is most appreciated.

Cheers!

JSM

Every Sunday at one campus I run a CLR wedge with my AFII by feeding FOH with output 1 from Axe to FOH and Axe output 2 TRS to by CLR input 1. I am also using the CLR as my stage monitor so I also run a FOH feed without guitar into input 2 of the CLR. This way I control how much of me I hear with output 2 on the Axe without affecting the house mix. Best rig I have ever had the pleasure of playing!

That's pretty clever, running the house mix without guitar back to your CLR input 2. So you CAN have it your way. ;-)
I'll put that one in my trick bag.

My solution has always been output1 to FOH, output 2 is a copy of out 1, goe to CLR. -> I have independent controls of my stage volume while the FOH gets a constant level. No crazy jumps like if (=when) the guitarist decides to have more of his Marshall.

It's an awesome setup. Just yesterday, the house monitor blew up. Instead of not hearing vocals and keyboards for the rest of the show, I plugged the monitor feed to CLR input 2, and got back to rocking. Just awesome versatility. Not to mention how much better it sounds vs. a mic that gets kicked and points randomly at the guitar amp, AND the better coverage vs. laser beam of death. <3

Last edited:
Thanks for info guys. After closer review, I realized that my hard copy user manual was extremely outdated.

I downloaded the latest user manual and I also took a quick look at Chris' informative article here. Thanks to Chris for all of his input into the forum.

How do I send my Axe signal to FOH and on-stage full-range monitors? | Katsu Kuri Media Blog

Found Echo (formerly Copy function) in the latest manual. I kept looking for the copy function which no longer exists since V12. See below.

attachment.php

Hopefully this will do the trick. Traveling today and I'll try this out as soon as I get home tomorrow. I guess the only other parameter is selecting whether to Sum L+R etc. and I think the manual explains this pretty well.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• OUTPUT 2.jpg
    OUTPUT 2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom