Live Rig

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
I've been kicking around ditching my Vetta II rig and moving to an Axe FX. The big delay is figuring out all the gear I'm going to need to really replace the Vetta; this is where you guys come in. :D

I plan to do everything direct. Currently, the entire band is direct into the mixer (which is new) for practice; including drums. We all have in-ear monitors (which means each mix soaks up 2 monitor channels).

Does anybody here use In-Ear monitors for a live situation? I'm assuming it will be pretty similar to the Vetta in setup/feel/mixing.

Live, I'm not entirely sure everybody will like In-Ear, which presents it's own set of issues. If that's the case, I'm going to need to make do with a wedge and nice little amp for monitoring. What amp/cab would you recommend for this use? Currently, I'm running direct out of the Vetta with the speakers on and a wedge.

Hi Sidivan,

Welcome to the forum! Great to have you here. There are quite a number of people here who use IEMs in live situations. If you search a little bit, you'll come up with a lot of postings on IEM units, processors, mixing techniques and recommendations.

Likewise, for stage monitoring, check the Amps and Cabs section for a wealth of knowledge. Looking forward to your reviews!

Sidivan said:
Does anybody here use In-Ear monitors for a live situation? I'm assuming it will be pretty similar to the Vetta in setup/feel/mixing.

I use a Shure PSM-400 and E5 earbuds with the triple-flange sleeves. To me, it's far easier with the Axe-Fx than the Vetta ever was. The Axe-Fx's ability to put separate EQ on the two sets of outputs makes a huge difference.

That said, it's a lot easier to get yourself in trouble with the Axe. There's so much tweakability in there that if you aren't careful it will drag you down to the seventh level of hell.

Want to make everybody happier with the IEM's? Set up a room mike with a reverse gate on it, so that it chokes down when you're playing at volume and opens up to let you hear the room and the audience when you're not playing. Guaranteed to make everyone feel a lot better about IEM's. The other thing is, gotta seal those buds in tight...a lot tighter than people are often used to. Those are the secrets to successful IEM.

Best...

Back
Top Bottom