Live rig setup opinion

mitch236

Experienced
Hi! I am making the switch to the AxeFx Ultra. I am using a Budda SD45 into a Marshall 4x12 cab currently. My plan is to run the Axe into a ART SLA-2 amp into a pair of Yamaha SM 10V stage monitors. Do you think it will sound good or should I have a local car stereo custom shop build me a set of full range monitors? I worry most about the sound quality of the monitors because I know they are really designed to cut through the mix and probably will sound too bright.

Has anyone else tried this type of setup and if so, how did it work out?

Thanks!!!

I had cheapy Full range speakers. You can get it to sound good, but not great (at least I couldn't). Now that I'm using normal guitar speakers, I have awesome tones again. I'd recommend using the Marshall cab you have and hook it up to the Art power amp. Or sell the 4x12 and get a couple 2x12's or even 1x12's (I have 1x12's).

If you go with the full range, you'll have to EQ a LOT to get things to sound right for high gain stuff if you like very crunchy non-muddy sounds like I do, and even then unless the speakers are great (QSC's that cost $2000 for 2), then bass response and the highs might not sound very good.

Basically see if it will sound great with what you have first (I guess you'll need to get that power amp though). If you can't make killer sounds, try a different speaker cab.

We have a few of those. I hate to use them as a regular monitor much less as one for a guitar only setup.

I guess I will resort to using either the Marshall or a TR sig cab I have laying around. But does it make sense to use cab sims then? Are the cab sims only useful for recording?

I suspect you'd want to use the cab sims when running direct to the board, but not when using a power amp and guitar cab(s), miking that signal and sending it to FOH.

Back
Top Bottom