Live mono setup using one CLR stage monitor and PA

dsimms

Inspired
New Axe II XL+/Atomic CLR/MFC 101 owner here. I have one CLR active wedge for my onstage monitoring and will send to the main PA as well, which is always mono. This will affect my stereo effect presets.

I've read through threads here recommending summing L + R before sending to the CLR and PA, and others recommending just using one of the two L or R outputs. Each method has trade offs for presets that use stereo effects - summing can cause phase cancellation and just using one stereo output leaves out important things from the other channel. Many said using just one of the stereo outputs wasn't a big deal for most of the presets and would only leave out ping pong type effects, so I had decided just to use the L output with no summing.

Then I had another thought - sending L to my stage monitor and sending R to the PA. That way I would hear mostly L with some of R from the PA, and the audience would hear mostly R with some of the L from the stage monitor. It's not a perfect 50/50 L/R blend but probably the best compromise.

Does this make sense or will this cause other problems I haven't considered?

I wasn't sure where to post this - in Rigs and Routing, Amps and Cabs or here. Let me know if I need to move it.

That's what I do, L to wedge, R to FOH.

But I do consider any effect that depends on an L / R signal. In other words, I'm careful not to use a panning, or ping pong effect or something not suited to my L / R "split".

L+R is too easy for me to mess up, so I avoid it.

I asked this exact question a few weeks ago and the Summed L+R works great.

I had to tweak some of my presets slightly (mostly delays) when set to Sum L+R, but it wasn't an issue.

I actually sent output 1 to the board and output 2 to my CLR, that way I could adjust the CLR's volume separately from the front panel. There's another setting in the I/O to make this work; Output 2 Echo to Output 1.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom